Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #16
TurboSAAB

Following up here folks.

My tile tested positive for lead...via acid digestion.

Dust wipes of scuffed tile and chipped tile came back showing no lead, and very little lead respectively. So the realistic risk was low.

My kids tests are all off the charts undetectable, and they grew up on that floor.

I felt confident to go ahead and install my carpeting.

The carpet company gave me the option of having them apply a skim coat to reduce the chance the grout lines showed through the carpet. I said yes. In hindsight, this probably was not necessary as our area rug showed no lines and the new carpet has a thick pad under it too.

I just found out the patching compound is highly alkaline and that an alkaline can leach the lead from a ceramic just like an acid can.

That plus I went from a clean tile surface to this thin skimcoat that could crumble and abraid the tile over time. My concerns of dirty getting under the carpet and grinding it were unfounded as it was pristine under the area rug and now I've introduced stuff under there

I put so much thought into this and didn't think about the skim coat at all.

I'm not sure how concerned I should be and what to do. I had tile that contained lead, only able to be coaxed out of it with acid...and now I have a highly caustic cement on top of it which would potentially also do the same.
Unread 02-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #17
speed51133

You could always epoxy coat what you have now then carpet it. Since you don't really care what it looks like it could be a diy job.
Unread 02-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #18
TurboSAAB

I already have the carpet in....I guess it could be lifted/reinstalled. Going to see what the guy at the lab who did my testing thinks. Without moisture I don't think the pH of the solid skim coat may have much of an effect afterall.
Unread 02-24-2020, 06:09 AM   #19
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Given the tests you’ve performed, your risks are exceedingly low; even in old house with lead paint it typically requires ingestion (aka wood chewing) or fine dust raised via sanding. The lead in that tile is contained and drilling a few holes for tack strip will raise minimal fine dust that can easily be mitigated with a vacuum.

Just my 2 cents.
PC7060 is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase