Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #31
madkaw284

I apologize for so many posts, but is there anything in particular I should use to fill in some of the voids or just mix up some more mud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 02-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

This website is here to answer your questions, Kerry, and I've not seen any advertised limit to the number allowed.

There are many cementitious patching materials available at your local building supply that would be fine for your application. Some folks would tell you to use thinset mortar, but that's not what thinset mortar is designed for.

I'm more concerned that you have a flat slope of adequate pitch. What you've described is the absolute minimum and will work if it is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry
Do I use the same mix for the curb that I used for my pre-pitch? I used the 4:1 sand and Portland cement.
You do not. Go to our Liberry and find the Shower Construction Info. thread. Scroll down 'till you find a post about Deck Mud and Fat Mud.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 02-05-2020 at 05:44 PM.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #33
madkaw284

Filling hole’s in concrete foundation

So it looks like after doing some looking around in the liberry, that just the quickrete mortar mix is good for the curb, is that correct? But I’m still unsure what to use for patching the imperfections in the pre pitch. I have some leftover Mapei planipatch, could that work or even just straight Portland cement?

Last edited by madkaw284; 02-06-2020 at 07:49 AM.
madkaw284 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #34
madkaw284

Well, today was a rough one. I was running my hand across the dry pack trying to think of ways to fix some of the imperfections in the pre-slope, and every now and then I would run across a hollow sound. I found one and gently started to pick and pry at it and it completely crumbled out. Thought "OK, I can just patch it" then I found another and another and before you know I tore the whole damn thing out! Not 100% what I did wrong but I believe I just didn't combine the mixture good enough. I didn't even want to risk any issues down the road so I just figured Id swallow the $30 worth of material and give it another go.
Right now I have a clean slate and am planning on doing it right in the next few days, but in the meantime I do have another question. Were planning on putting in a linear drain but our drain isn't centered length wise in our layout and is roughly 2" off center width wise. So, the pre-slope will be angled from the outside edges to the drain, that naturally creates high areas on the edges and when I place the linear drain in the drain hole, the edges are sittng on the mud and its about 3" high at the drain. This is with a 28" drain and my shower width of 32". Im thinking I may just have to get a shorter one unless I'm missing something.
Unread 02-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #35
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Not sure what happened with the preslope.

1. Did you apply thinset to the slab and drop the dry pack into the thinset while it was still wet?

2. Did you pack the mud before screeding it? After screeding the mud and have it the way you want, go over it with a flat steel trowel to slick it down on top.

3. You show a regular 3 pc clamping drain in your pics. When did you change to a linear drain?

With the preslope out, I'd bust the new patched concrete out and center the drain.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #36
madkaw284

Yeah I put thinset down and then put the dry pack down on top of it. Packed it down real good and layed it out with a wood float and then went over it with a steel trowel. It looked like there were just a bunch of areas that weren’t combined real well and it was just crumbly sand. I’m going to try and make sure it’s thoroughly mixed next time.

As far as the drain, that’s a last minute decision by the boss (wife).

Unread 02-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #37
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, it needs to be mixed well. If you're mixing sand and cement together, mix it up dry until you see that it's mixed well, then add water. Also, you might have mixed it a little too dry.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #38
madkaw284

That’s also what I was thinking. We added just enough water to get it to hold together but it seemed so dry to work with. Gonna try adding just a bit more water and mix like you said before we add water.

Unread 02-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #39
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I bet the next one will be better.

Is the linear drain the type that fits into the clamping drain?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #40
madkaw284

Yes. It came with a threaded adapter and the drain just slides down on it.

Unread 02-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #41
madkaw284

Alright, I’m back. Finished the second go round of my preslope and it came out much better. Getting ready to lay my liner down and something else crossed my mind. In the attached picture you can see how my tile is off of my curb by roughly 3/8”. Now I’m wondering if I should cut the tile back further to accommodate the thickness of my curb mud, or would it be alright to have the mud rest on the tile? Pretty sure I k ow the correct answer but wouldn’t mind a little confirmation.
Unread 02-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #42
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would mud down to the existing tile as it is, Kerry.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #43
madkaw284

Thanks again CX. That the answer I was hoping to hear!

Unread 02-22-2020, 12:00 AM   #44
Kman

I can't see the entire top of the curb, but from the one picture, I see only one nail/screw near the end. I would have them at least every foot, if not closer. I would also screw the top one at an angle into the intersecting wall to stabilize the curb even more.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #45
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Kerry, how do you plan to accommodate the thickness of the liner folds against the wall framing in the corners? As well, the thickness of the liner around the rest of the perimeter? Are you going to shim out the wall boards?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase