Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
DestinyLee

Slate Tile Backsplash

OK, so here it goes! I am a complete newbie when it comes to tiling anything. That being said, I am also a determined, smart, capable human who is willing to learn and listen. I have a 45 sq.ft. kitchen backsplash. I have 6"x18" slate tiles with a 3"x10" decorative border tiles that I would like to use. I have read alot of threads here and taken in alot of information I believe, but if someone would maybe give me some guidance, that'd be awesome. I will attach pics of what I have going on here. I have sealed some slate tiles already, but they aren't waterproof by any means, and should they be? Should I be using the 511 Impregnator sealer instead? And this is going over drywall in the kitchen that originally had laminate over it that I ripped off. Do I need to do anything to the drywall prior? Thank you for any and all advice!
Destiny
Attached Images

Unread 02-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I would only point out that, while "mastic" (which is what you have) is generally acceptable for backsplashes...it is not recommended for natural stone products. While it may work out OK for you, it sometimes bleeds thru the material and can be a problem. A good, modified real thinset if far preferable.....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would use Eco Prim grip ( from Lowes) over the backsplash first and then use a modified thinset (a powder that you mix with water) to bond the tiles.

I believe the sealer you used leaves a natural look. The label should say for sure. If you like the look of the slate when it's wet then an enhancer type sealer should have been used. Once the natural sealer is used, the enhancer sealer most likely won't enhance.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
DestinyLee

I really do like the natural look of the slate. I got a piece wet and laid it against my counter and it makes the slate too dark for what I'm looking for. I will have to go to Lowe's!
Ok now next question.... Is there something besides the sealer that I need to put on the tiles to make them stop splitting and shedding the little shards all over or do I need to just knock all the loose stuff off before I seal them all? And just to verify, I'm sealing them all first before I put them on the wall correct? And then I seal everything including the grout afterwards?
Unread 02-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can seal it first although I usually install it, let it set and then seal it. Then again after the grout sets.

As you can see, slate is made up of very thin layers and it will continue to flake here and there. I do think that using a topical type sealer would help keep it from flaking so much but I doubt you'll stop it completely. A topical type sealer would most likely darken the slate similar to the enhancer look. In the past I've used a lot of Sparks Stone Glamor sealer.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase