Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
Chrism1367

Schluter shower pan by itself?

Has anyone installed a schluter shower pan, but not use the schluter system for the walls and use redgaurs or something similar like that?
Unread 02-20-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Chris.

Not at all sure why you'd want to do that, but I'd certainly recommend against it. As, I'm sure, would Herr Schluter.

Schluter depends heavily upon the installation of their sheet membrane with thinset mortar and tile to protect that somewhat fragile foam shower tray. You'll not provide the same structure using that liquid-applied membrane and the maybrane may, or may not, adhere properly to the Schluter bonding flange drain.

Could you make it work? Maybe. But do tell why you'd want to do that when each manufacturer (Schluter and Custom Building Products) provides a recommended method of shower receptor construction using their various products.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Chrism1367

My thought was to use kerdi membrane ove the shower pan and use redguard or similar just for the walls. One is cost and two would be ease of just rolling on membrane plus time. Was just thinking if anyone had ever successfully done something similar. Thanks for the reply
Unread 02-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

We've had folks mix all kinds of systems for shower construction here, Chris, and I'm sure that's one of them. I always have trouble understanding just why, though.

The difference in cost, presuming you apply the liquid-applied waterproofing in the specified number of coats at the specified thickness is not gonna be significant in the overall cost of a bathroom remodel. And if you consider the drying time between coats of the liquid-applied membrane, I'm not sure you can save enough time to call that a meaningful difference, either.

And if saving money is a major goal, eliminating the foam shower tray and making your own sloped mud bed will not only save you a substantial chunk of change, but also give you a far better shower floor that fits your shower footprint and drain location perfectly while keeping a level perimeter.

Another potential savings would be to switch to the USG Shower System membrane and drain, again over a sloped mud bed. The materials are still available on Amazon I do believe.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 02-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
Chrism1367

Ok thanks CX, good info. I may look at other options. I dont know if I have enough confidence to make a mud preslope correctly, thats why I was leaning towards schluter or similar.
Unread 02-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Even if you made a mock up shower floor in your garage to practice on a time or two, you'd still be money ahead by a long shot. You can buy sand and cement for a little of nothing.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

What Davy said. And if you're related to Jack Benny, you can even do your initial practice with nothing but damp sand and then dry and re-use the sand to mix with your Portland cement for your dry-pack for the actual shower floor.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase