Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Cups

Travertine - to do, or not to do?

Hi JB forum,

It's been a very long while since I've been online, and I'm grateful to see many familiar names still continuing to be as friendly and helpful as ever.

I was able to successfully complete my bathroom projects so long ago, and in between then and now, Mr. Lindsey and I also completed a 1000 sq ft. Roman paver patio in the backyard. Now, we're back to inside, looking to retile our front foyer and 2pc bathroom.

We're looking at an area of roughly 100 sq ft., consisting of the front door, garage entry door, and small landing, and a 2pc bathroom. Very heavy trafficked area of the house, as the doorways and bathroom are used multiple times daily.

Right now, we have 2 (yes, 2!) layers of granite tile. A former home owner owned a quarry and decided to go with Manitoba granite (pink-ish) and then put a black granite right over top. There's about 2.5"-3" worth of tile when you look into the floor register, and luckily, our floors haven't sunk into the basement. We'll be pulling up both granite layers and fixing the subfloor as necessary.

I'm of the mind that I'd like to do travertine tile in this area. Not a polished travertine, but brushed or honed. I haven't done much shopping around to see what available yet, but I'm starting my research on the tile itself.

As we live in a climate with winter 6 months of the year, I'm curious about salt. We use salt and sand on our roads and walkways. With a sealed travertine tile, will salt have any negative effects to the tile? As mentioned, this is a high traffic area and in the winter, we're coming and going with boots full of snow, salt, and slush. The area gets swept up multiple times during the week, as necessary, and washed when needed.

I'll stop here, to get initial thoughts.

Thanks all!
Unread 02-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

MOst granite tile will be more robust, less likely to be scratched, and probably look good longer.

A sealer on stone doesn't really seal the tile like waterproofing. It gives you a little time to clean up a spill before it sinks in and stains...it will NOT prevent it, only slow it down.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
Metropolitan Ceramics

For the areas you describe, you would be better off with a travertine-look porcelain tile. There are many of them out there. Travertine itself is soft and prone to wear, scratching, and developing holes. For your entry area specifically you may want to consider a quarry tile or thin brick since these products are unglazed but still rustic-looking.
Unread 02-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

What they said.

I do my very best to talk customers out of using travertine in such instances.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase