Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #16
Ahmad

Yes, I think it's pretty much the same as Quikerete, as both has 5000 PSI for after 28 days and 2000 PSI for 7 days. & yeah we do have bilingual labels here.

I went with your advice and bought a bag of sand with it, to increase the ratio to 5:1. I'm planning on doing the pre-slope tomorrow, so will update next week, specially if there was anything different with this brand of sand mix.

I have tried to find on TTMAC if there is any different mix ratio, but was unable, I guess we the "frozen north" doesn't get any special ratio

Thanks, again!
Unread 02-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #17
Ahmad

So the pre-lope is done.... Waiting for tomorrow to see if it would be as expected.

I want to revisit the waterproofing of the cement board that I asked earlier. I had decided to apply a liquid water proofing on the front of cement boards, but I read that installing tar paper behind the CB would also do the same job. Given that I have a full roll of tar paper, I would prefer to do this, than doing liquid water proofing, if this is not going to compromise anything? So it would be the studs, tar paper and then CB.
Unread 02-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

So long as the roofing felt, minimum #15 (formerly 15#), is properly installed with adequate overlaps and in shingle fashion and laps several inches over the shower pan liner, it's a perfectly acceptable water containment method.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #19
rmckee84

Will it work? Yes, if everything is overlapped and installed properly. But keep in mind it is the bare minimum.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #20
Ahmad

@DX what do you mean by "over the shower pan liner"? I know that it should overlap the liner, but I thought the tar paper goes first and then line on top of it, correct? Or should the liner go first and the tar paper on top?
Unread 02-15-2020, 10:07 PM   #21
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The tar paper on the walls is to overlap the liner so that any water that hits the tar paper flows into the liner. Like roof shingles.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #22
Ahmad

Thanks that makes sense now. I will put the tar paper on over the liner.

One more revisit, the position of CB above the liner, as advised here that my CB should go into the top layer of the mud, and that is fine, while other places, like Bob from star tile says that it shouldnot come in contact with the mud bed, and should be installed after the final layer of the mud is installed and should have a slight gap as well. My question is, what is the disadvantages of installing it above the mud layer?
Unread 02-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #23
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The disadvantage is there is nothing to old the bottom of the cement board tight to the studs since you cannot nail or screw it to the studs that low.

Install the CB panels so they end 1/4" or so above the liner, then install the top mud layer. The top mud layer then holds the bottom of the CB panels tight against the studs.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #24
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Bury the CBU into the mud bed only if it's a true Cement board. I think Cx touched on this in post 13. Hardie board is a fiber board and not a cement board. Denshield is another one that can't be buried in the mud. Wonder board, Durock, etc. can be buried.

I'd avoid Starr tile videos.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase