Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-08-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
BUS33

Kerdi Membrane Inside Corners Concern

Hi all, I am new to this forum but have been lurking for a while. I hope you can give me some advice or reassurance.

I am remodeling our master bath, which includes a small 36 x 36 walk in shower. My plan is to tile this shower and use the Kerdi Shower Kit to waterproof.

Yesterday I installed the Kerdi Membrane on the three walls. This shower has 2 inside corners floor to ceiling on the back wall. I am confident that I got the job done right with regards to the membrane adhering to the walls. My issue that my 2 inside corners are slightly rounded instead of a good 90. In hindsight I should have ran the membrane up to the corner and used the Kerdi-Band to make my corners 90. Instead, since this was a small shower, I ran a full strip of membrane around the shower to avoid seams.

My question is should I try to fix the corners by running a knife down the corner, cleaning out the corner, then running Kerdi-Band on the inside corners?

Should I leave it as it? I am planning on 12 x 24 3/8 inch ceramic tiles with a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel. Will these set out far enough with the mud under them so they butt up against each other in the corner?

I should mention that I used Schluter All-Set and it has been sitting up for about 12 hours now. Is cutting and cleaning the corner out not an option with how hard the mud will be now?

Let me know what you think....I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt
Unread 02-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Matt,

Guess it depends on how rounded the corners are, and remember that you'll not be actually butting the tiles together in the corners, you'll be leaving something close to 1/8" gap.

Once you're confidant the Kerdi is sufficiently dry just take two of your tiles and place them in the corners to see what the joints look like. Decide which wall will overlap the other, and be sure there is enough tile face at the over for the recommended silicone sealer to adhere to.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Kman

Kerdi doesn't really make a tight corner, so it may be okay. If you have a picture of it we might be able to say for sure.

It's likely that you just pulled it out of the corner when you were working the mortar out. It happens.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

MI’dWelcome to the forum, Matt!

If you are confident in the seams and a rounded corner is the biggest of your concern I’d leave it alone. You can very likely back-bevel a chamfer onto the back of the tile that goes in that corner to give yourself clearance. How big of a radius is it? Size of nickle...quarter? And do you have a wetsaw? Or were you planning to use a manual tile snapper?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
BUS33

Here are a few pics..

Name:  image0.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  image2.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  image3.jpeg
Views: 117
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  image4.jpeg
Views: 117
Size:  65.4 KB

I set my speed square in the corner to show how much "round" there is. I slid the square into the corner until it hit the start of the rounding. If I measure the gap on the other side it is about 3/8 inch.

On a separate note, I attached a pic of the bottom section of kerdi, which is the first section I put on and the first section I've ever done in my life. I think I was putting too much pressure on the dry wall knife trying to get the air and excess mud out. You can see it frayed a little bit. Is this ok? After I got the hang of it, I realized I didn't need as much pressure.

Thanks for your help and replies so far.

Matt
Unread 02-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
BUS33

..and I forgot to mention...I have a wet saw, tile snapper, and angle grinder.
Unread 02-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Gozo

The bit of fraying shouldn’t compromise the bond. Just make sure to get the mortar well embedded into the surface fibers. Regardless of any fraying; so don’t make it too thick.
On the rounded corner, you’ll be fine. Remember a) there will be some mortar thickness behind the tile, and b) you want more spacing between the tile at the inside corners than you’re showing in your demonstration photo. About 1/8 to 3/16” usually about right even if your field spacing is less.
You’ll want to able to get silicone in there and out again when it’s time for replacement (unless you’re one of those grout the change of plane folks).
Unread 02-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #8
BUS33

Thanks for the advice....and yes on the expansion/silicone joint. I just showed it butted to give some perspective on how the side wall tile will cover the back wall tile with the rounded corner.
Unread 02-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If it were mine, and as Bubba mentioned, I think I'd cut a back bevel on the tiles that are over-lapped by the others. That'll allow you to slide them a little deeper into the corner, ensuring there's enough surface for the silicone adhere to.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree, I'd back bevel the tiles since you have an angle grinder. The bevel doesn't have to come all the way to the face of the tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase