Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #151
Gozo

Nope, no Microban, just their standard colored acetic cure silicone. No mold showed on the surface, only noticed the bit of discoloration on the sides (where it didn’t adhere long term to the tile) after digging it out.
I used backer rod (actually slices of rod to fit the space without compression) in the deep area between the seat slab and the tile) in the 3/4” deep gap to lessen it to only needing/getting a bead about 1/8” x 1/8”, maybe 3/16”. Used just the silicone in the shallow tile to tile gaps, also in the 1/8”-ish range.
Looked to be just an adherence issue at the very edges where the was constant water exposure. The bottom of the bead was well adhered. As always the stuff sticks great to any and everything when you’re putting it in.
If other areas start to show the same thing, I’ll think about how to dig it all out, clean up the mating surfaces, and maybe go with an epoxy grout or such. (I don’t think that a cementous grout would stick if there was even a few molecules of silicone left in there.)
In the scheme of life, this should be the worst problem I have to worry about.
Unread 01-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #152
Gozo

Giving up on silicone

Here’s an update on the silicone problem I was seeing. Well, I dug out the worst of the silicone and replaced it with Mapei color matched silicone. The color matched well. However, in the areas that get hit with the water stream from about waist height down have been pulling away from the tiles. The areas that don’t get drenched are doing fine. It’s as if the water is dissolving out some small amount of substance from the silicone. The areas where I left the Color-rite silicone in are doing the same thing. I don’t think it’s differential movement as the upper seams are fine, as are the seams on the other side of the pony wall which are grouted. Maybe something to with the colorants or the more modern formulation as the upstairs bathroom that I did ~25 years ago and has gotten lots of heavy use is still doing fine. Used the plain white GE silicone on that.

Digging out the silicone was a fun exercise in itself. Used a razor to cut the areas from the tile and a dental pick to dig it out. Some came out in strips with a residue on the tile surface and others had to be picked out bit by bit. Lots of scraping to get the tile free of residue. I also used a Dremel with a small diamond pear bit to get the last bits. Fortunately, when I did the tiling, I used probably more mortar than I needed, so there was good coverage of the Kerdi and I hit the mortar before getting even close to the waterproofing.

The little water that got into the gaps probably took with it some soap scum and crap (I think the hair conditioner is a worse offender than the soap) and started mould sticking to the silicone edge surfaces. The tile was clean.
Anyway, contrary to the TCNA guidelines (as Cx would say “it’s your shower, do as you please”), rather than replace it and wait again, I got a fresh bag of grout (Ultracolor Plus FA) and grouted all the seams where there was silicone. (It came out a tad darker than the first grouting years ago, but certainly acceptable.) If it cracks at least the moisture can evaporate through the grout in the seams and dry out, I think the capillary action kept the silicone moist longer. When the shower was built, I grouted the floor to wall seams and they held up fine so far.

So a roll of the dice to see what comes down the road. Just an update for any future lurkers to be aware that getting the silicone out ain’t no picnic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gozo; 01-25-2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Auto-spell strikes again
Gozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #153
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, Jeff, we know there are those among us who have grouted those joints for years, so you're not completely alone wandering in that wilderness.

Please do let us know in a few years how it worked out for you.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase