Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Saltworks

Shower remodel

I have a shower recessed about 5 inches into the floor (slab on grade). I plan to gut and remodel the shower using the USG membrane and drain system. My plan is to chisel out the shower pan around the drain and replace the trap to allow me to use the new drain system. I will then place a new mud bed in the recess and apply the membrane over that. My question is; do I need to remove the existing tile on the current shower pan, or can I place the mud bed over the tile? I can scarify the tile with a flap disc and use a bonding agent or thin set under the new mud if recommended. The tile is well adhered and showing no signs of failure.

Any advice appreciated. By the way, the existing drain is a clamping drain.

Thanks

Bill
Tucson AZ
Unread 12-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Bill.

So we're to understand that this shower is located in Freeland, MI, or in Tucson, AZ?

Depends upon what the substrate for the current tile might be. No reason you couldn't place a sloped mud bed on top of a ceramic tile installation if the installation was on something permanently sound.

You wouldn't need to replace the P-trap if there's nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't hurt anything to do so.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Saltworks

Shower remodel

Well, it’s a winter home in Tucson, and the Freeland home is now a Northport MI home, CK. Every home gets a new shower.

I may replace the trap it it’s easier than removing the old riser and drain fitting, I’ll see what it looks like when I get into it.

I felt that the solid shower base would make a good substrate for the new mud deck but I thought I would make sure.

Thanks

Bill
Northport/Tucson
Unread 12-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Depending on the relative elevations, Schluter makes a clamping drain to bonded membrane drain assembly that might work for you without tearing out all of the old stuff. You'd have to dig out enough to get to and remove the clamping ring, and that may mean things are too deep to utilize the conversion assembly.

If you clean the tile on the existing pan well, something like Mapei EcoPrim primer should be good to get a good surface...on that, I'd consider a slurry of Portland or thinset prior to throwing down your deck mud. If the existing tile is a porcelain, plain sand paper may not do much except frustrate you.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
Saltworks

Shower remodel

I could use a little advice on using Schluter edge trim. I used it once quite a few years ago on a narrow end wall to terminate the tiles. I was probably able to thinset the trim and apply the tiles fairly quickly.

This time, I’m using the trim on a wall that will take me quite a bit longer to tile completely. My question is, can I apply the Schluter trim to the wall and tile up to the trim, letting the thinset harden due to the time it will take me to get the whole wall tiled. In other words, treat the trim like a separate border, being sure to scrape extra thinset off so I can place tile over the trim when I get there?

If I can’t do that, my only option will be to tile the end of the wall where the trim is first and then fill in the field later.

Thanks

Bill

Tucson
Unread 01-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
Gozo

What you’re proposing works fine. I did similar over the course of a week (I’m slow) going up row by row. Tape works fine to hold things in place ‘til you get there.
The attached pic is during my build and you can see the floor to ceiling Schluter trim waiting for the rest of the tile to go in on both sides of the entryway.
Attached Images

Unread 01-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
Saltworks

Shower remodel

Thanks Jeff

That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Bill

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase