Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #16
makethatkerdistick

Jeff, looks good. It'll be hard to dust this wall, though, with all the recessed areas.

Anyway, this might be too late now but Mapei's Primer T ($10 per container at Lowe's) works WONDERS on Hardiebackers. It quenches their thirst to a level that is comparable to that of drywall. Water-based and low VOC and dries quickly. And yes, it's approved for use on CBUs. Following their instructions, you mix Primer T 1:1 with water for absorbing surfaces.

I really, really hate Hardiebacker for their thirst.

I guess, the four CBU corners meeting is a moot point now. I think, though, you'll be ok since you have a layer of drywall behind your installation.
Unread 08-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #17
Gozo

It...is...DONE!

Got the shelves in and tiled around and up to the ceiling. Got it even to the top with some gentle shimming on the higher side and some cutting of the stones at an angle at the top. Not really noticeable unless you stick your head up into the overhang area.
Just need to get some longer screws for the electrical box extension and finish the trim work in the room. Only took a few weeks from start to finish, unlike the bathroom project that’s coming up on 2 years soon.
I proved to myself (and Mrs. Jeff) that I actually can finish something I started.

Last edited by Gozo; 08-21-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Gozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #18
Gozo

Forgot to add the picture.
Attached Images

Unread 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nice accent, Jeff.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #20
Gozo

Seal & Enhance

I put 511 seal and enhance on the stones to get richer look. I did a test piece and the “decider of all decor” said she liked it better with than without. Hard to tell on a small section and I didnt really see many good before and after pictures. Most were A before and B after and could well be swayed by differences in lighting. For those with similar questions, the picture here is with the lower section with the 511 and the upper section waiting to be done.
Some things of note:
1-the bottle says 1 qt covers from 62 to 1000 sqft. Very precise at the low end but quite a range. I used a bit over a pint for the whole 50sqft wall.
2-used a cheapo chip brush to put it on and a Q-tip to get into the deep nooks and crannies.
3-instructions say to wipe the excess off. Harder to do with the very irregular surface. Got the surface sealant off with a rag and soaked up the pools in the corners with a clean Q-tip.
4-the stone is pretty porous and after wiping, it oozed a bit more sealant up to the surface. Needed a second wipe down. Used a blower to break the surface tension of some small bubbles in the gaps between panels
5-I thought I had gotten all the mortar and manufacturing glue off the front of the stones the other day. The enhancer really makes the missed bits stand out. You’ll need to go over those spots to get the mortar off.
That’s it. Just a few takeaways from my first go at these for those following later.
A comment related to Wolfgang’s concern about cleaning the stones: since it’s on a bedroom wall, dust should be about it. A vacuum with a small brush does a fine job. I’ve seen these stones on fireplaces and backsplashes. I’m not sure how well spaghetti sauce or fireplace soot will clean off of these. Something to think about if you’re planning that route.
Attached Images

Unread 08-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #21
makethatkerdistick

I like the sealer. Gives it some contrast and definition. Now, I wonder if anyone has ever used this stone in a shower.
Unread 08-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #22
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like it. But it was an easy decision, I'd never vote against the "decider of all décor".

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #23
AbbyInTN

The stone wall looks great. I am re-visiting this thread because I am looking at doing the same thing. I believe this is a MSI product. I need a very thin stone that does not protrude from the wall very much. I wonder how it is holding up. Another concern is if it is common for there to be glue and mortar residue on the front of the stone.
Unread 11-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #24
speed51133

You SHOULD have waterproofed the wall and added a waterfall feature.

Next time

Looks good though
Unread 11-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #25
Gozo

Hi Abby,
I do believe it’s the MSI product. Got it from HD. The stone panels are about 3/4” thick and some stick out, so about 1” thick total at the max. Not at all what’d rate as a very thin piece. I have seen veneers that are much thinner, but my ham fisted technique would have made them a nightmare. There wasn’t much glue from the manufacturing process on the fronts, and the mortar didn’t ooze through at all. They’re holding up fine; they get a vacuum once every few weeks to keep dust from collecting. Glad to help with the follow-up.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase