Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 04-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Glass guy B.S. or fact?

I had a company install some glass for a shower enclosure. When they came out to measure for the shower the tech made a lot of adjustments to get the slope angle perfect. He made it seem like the glass would be cut at an angle to match the slope of the seat.
A few weeks later during installation the owner of the shower door company said that the glass cutters can't make those sorts of cuts. He was saying that this is how it's done.

Your thoughts? Is this factual? One of my thoughts is that someone screwed up or dropped the ball. Maybe the glass was recieved and signed for before realizing the angle cut was incorrect. The installer i use doesn't cut the glass himself. I think this is normal for the smaller outfits.
Or maybe that type of cut is possible but it cost a lot more.

Travis

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

What are we supposed to be seeing in your photo, Travis?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx View Post
What are we supposed to be seeing in your photo, Travis?
Lol. This reminds me of doing warranty work for a home builder. The homeowner would be pointing at a cracked seam in the drywall and the warranty rep would say, "What are we looking at here. I don't see anything wrong. " meanwhile the homeowner has a dime shoved in the crack for crack size comparison.

I will take that as it being well within a margin of error, for lack of better words.

The glass at the slope of the seat or ledge thingy. The glass is cut at a 90 degree whereas the ledge under it (the white quartz) has slope down towards the right. The silicone caulk goes from tight on the left to 1/8th ish inch on the right. Above picture is the corner of the 2 glass panels, the 90 degree corner below the bottom piece of red tape of the picture included in this message.
The door installer said that the people who cut glass can not make this cut at an angle.
Does that seem legit?

Last edited by Shady at Best; 04-24-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Unread 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

the side glass isnt sloped at the bottom, here the glaziers cut to fit what its going on
Unread 04-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
ZZZK

There is absolutely nothing stopping the glass company from cutting the glass to perfectly match any pitch in the seat or angle or curve on the wall. I've had glass custom cut for professional office desks that had quite a few curves and corners. They would lay down a giant sheet of paper and pencil in the contours and the end product was a glass within 1/16" to 1/8" at very most. It all depends on the accuracy of the template made and how closely the cutter is following that template. Obviously your mileage will vary based on the skill and attention to detail of those involved.
Unread 04-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

In that case it's "glass guy BS" in my opinion. If all the components were in place when the glass company measured, there is no excuse at all for the glass not fitting correctly. Nothing particularly difficult in that cut at all.

A good glass man can dazzle you with the precision with which he can make cuts in glass and, as with any other trade, will go out of his way to show you that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #7
Weitekamp Remodeling
Weitekamp Remodeling & Construction Inc.

What I don't understand is how is the tub deck sloped that much into the shower? If the deck is sloped that much wouldn't you have a problem with the tub not draining properly?
Unread 04-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jay has a good question. Is the quartz in the shower a separate piece?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

The tub deck and shower bench/ ledge is one piece. The deck is level and the fabricators ground down the ledge to give it slope. The customer didn't want 2 pieces.

Okay, i am full of shit. There's a well hidden seam. The deck is level and the bench is sloped.
I had a feeling someone was cutting corners by not cutting the glass to match the slope of the bench. This brings up another question. It might be hard to see in the picture. The installer cuts a channel through the bench to accommodate for the overhang of the quartz. Thus allowing for the glass to come straight up from the curb, through the overhang, and then a right angle (left turn) across the top of the sloped bench top.
The installer of course said that cutting a notch out of the glass to match the overhang is too difficult or maybe can't be done. I don't believe it can't be done but would assume it cost more.

Do these cuts greatly increase the cost of a frameless enclouser in your guy's experience?

Unread 04-24-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
makethatkerdistick

Generally speaking, from my two self-designed enclosures for which I submitted drawings to a glass maker, a cut here or there didn't increase the cost substantially. Maybe $20-30 per cut, depending on how complex.

However, with every cut you have the risk of small chips. When those become noticeable, a glass fabricator has to redo the piece.

It looks like your panel is directly resting on that shower ledge. I installed at least a 1/16 in clear spacer on my panel to keep it from touching my curb. Gives also a bit of flex when things move/expand/contract a bit. Yes, that miter cut on the panel is absolutely possible at any angle. I question though whether it'd be really useful in a situation where a spacer is introduced.
Unread 04-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There's no reason the glass guy couldn't make that cut to fit, I think he's blowing smoke. I would make a mental note to not use this company again.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #12
speed51133

glass guy is full of it. I have cut glass and had it cut with slopes. I assume it was too hard to measure the slope for HIM.
Unread 04-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #13
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
There's no reason the glass guy couldn't make that cut to fit, I think he's blowing smoke. I would make a mental note to not use this company again.
Noted. Thanks guys.

Unread 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #14
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The glass must be cut before it is tempered, so you can't (as far as I know) rework the existing piece, but would need a new one to resolve this...probably the main reason they're trying to run a smoke screen at you.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #15
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

Glass guy BS for sure.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase