Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
808 Tile

Contractors Tile work here in HI

Aloha,
I been following this site for many years and wanna say a big mahalo to all you guys who help out with tips and tricks or just plain old advice. Ok contractor just fired me on my 1st day at work because I said I won’t tile the shower or living room floor. The shower is not water proofed all the way up, Pan liner is cut and punctured, no pre slope, bad prep work, it just goes on and on. I been tiling for the Union here in Hawaii from high rises to residential for 15yrs and I tried getting my contractors license but they said No on the other hand these guys got got theirs and they said they did 3 high rises all like this already. Ohhh man what do I do? The pics below are two different rooms but looks to me that they used metal framing screws.
Attached Images

Unread 02-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, TW.

Relocate to Florida. They'd think those showers were overkill.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
808 Tile

Yeah CX I just don’t see how these contractors can get their license here and they do this type of work. I mean I can’t even get mine with 15yrs with the union. I love Hawaii to much thou to leave but I do love Florida and some Disney world. CX I read a lot and a lot of posts here with a lot of great value from you as well as many others. I finallly made me a Acct/profile but wanna day mahalo for helping out with your expertise and experience
Unread 02-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

It helps if you'll add some biographical information to your User Profile, too, TW. What is your trade, how long you been doing it, where you been doing it, etc. That way it's permanently available to anyone who looks into your Profile.

We've got a whole lot of good folks here, some of whom have been helping our visitors with their projects for many years and you're welcome to join in if you like.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Not to mention that if you are a precise tile guy, there is one of our members who is in Maui you might look up. https://www.linkedin.com/in/isaac-homza-76494716

Might be a good person to make contact with

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #6
808 Tile

Mahalo CX and topspin. Yes I always wanted to meet him and a few other putter island tilers. The things you see and hear here are totally diff from these tile guys on your tube now😂🤙🏽💯
Unread 02-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Until permits become a requirement for a shower build with necessary inspections, or homeowners begin to bring lawsuits against builders, G/C's , or fly by night tile installers, we will continue to see shoddy workmanship like you posted.
Ripping out and re-doing showers has kept me going strong in business. Rarely do I do a new home or mega million dollar dream home anymore. Low bidders get those. I eventually get to go into them when problems start happening. Talk about expensive repairs!!! What's that old phrase...."you can pay me now or pay me later"
You just need to find a good G/C Builder or clients who appreciate quality and a job done right. They are out there. Sometimes they don't know that they are.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

...and you don't want to leave Hawaii for Florida!!!

CTEF Certified Installer
Unread 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
Dave Gobis
da Man!

If it were an inspection I could give you a good size list just on those few pictures. Have done jobs where I was brought in by a developer/builder for leakage on projects where after making my report was told that to correct all the errors in future construction would make them non-competitive and out of business. This is something I have heard a number of times.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
808 Tile

@Tilemanct I hear what you saying about doing tear outs instead of new builds. Low bidders gets the high end jobs and we get to clean up the mess month or years later. I just wanted to know who donwe contact before it even comes a problem I mean I lost my job because I didn’t wanna tile this bathroom and they have a whole high rise here in Waikiki,Honolulu. They said they do it like this all the time.🤙🏽 Btw me being here born and raised in Hawaii my love for tiling is deep but not as deep as my Hawaiian roots I would never leave Hawai’i🤙🏽.

@dave gobis 🤙🏽💯
Unread 02-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
808 Tile

@Dave Gobis is there anyone I can report them to for bad work practices? Mahalo my friend
Unread 02-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
Just In Tile LLC

Welcome T.W.,

You did the right thing, I don't know how much not doing the tile work has set you back financially, but sometimes the best jobs are the ones you don't take. I understand the frustration of "being right" and at the same time seeing another get away with it and you're the one sitting home...but trust me, it WILL catch up to him. Who knows what mess that would of set you up for later, plus the regret of doing it. Not worth it my friend. A clean conscience might be a slower road to success, but when you look back a couple years from now and see what kind of jobs you're currently doing you'll be able to enjoy the fruits of it without regret. That is worth more than any amount of money to me. Who knows, a job might present itself to you this week that you needed to be open for.
Unread 02-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #13
808 Tile

@ Just in Tile LLC. WOW big mahalo for the words of Wisdom. Yes I was hoping to get this job but that’s the way it goes I guess the people with their license in Hawaii that does tile well most not all does the shitty work and the people without their licensed get turned in for doing the good work but no license. Thanks again my friend
Unread 02-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #14
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Hang in there TW. Focus on finding good clients and G/C Builders who want good work and have a top notch reputation. In this day and age of social media it doesn't take long for someone who is a hack to be called out and put out there for all to see.
Four years ago I lost a nice tile job 5 minutes away from my house. Bid it through two builders I work with. They lost out to someone who really shouldn't be doing projects of this magnitude. Builder long gone. Painter I know calls me and says the homeowner is sick of having him come and repair and repaint ceilings due to all three showers leaking into rooms below.
Going next week to look at them. I know who did them and they will be complete tear outs.
Keep striving to do good work. Keep up educating yourself. Learn good business practices. Keep track of and do time studies of all your projects. Don't bid by the square foot. Keep trying for that license. If it truly something you want don't give up.

CTEF Certified Installer
Unread 02-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
Dave Gobis
da Man!

808, there are no tile police but people look for them daily.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase