Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 01-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Gozo

Floor heat setting in winter

The ice princess (Mrs. Jeff) and I have been “discussing” what temperature to have the tile floor in the bathroom set for. It gets the most use in the early morning and late evening and the timer sets it back in the times in between.

The question came up “what do others usually set it at?”. So the question I pose to the forum is “what’s your warm setting for your typical use time?”

Thanks
Unread 01-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Gozo

We compromised at 80*F and left it at that. Since the floor mass has a decent amount of thermal inertia, I’m sure we’ll have some manual turn it up,turn it down contests ‘til one of us gets bored.
Unread 01-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
greenjp

I set ours at 84 for 0530-0900 and 1900-2200 (0700-1000 and 1900-2300 on the weekend) as those are the hours we're most likely to be in there without shoes on. The rest of the day it's set for 64 which is effectively off though it does seem to click on from time to time when the temp is around 68 (our daytime heating temp).

84 is about highest it'll go at ~70 ambient, staying on almost constantly. It's nice I've kicked around dialing it back a few degrees and maybe setting it at 72 or so during the day and overnight just to see what happens.
Unread 01-04-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

In my experience I have found that comparing displayed temperature to actual comfort may not necessarily be the same from one person‘s floor to another. Displayed temperatures can vary significantly based on how close the probe is to the wire, the medium it’s set in, the type of tile, variations in the thermostat types, etc.

So if you took a laser temperature recorder to determine two separate floors to be exactly the same temperature on the surface, they may actually display different temperatures on their thermostats. So best to just go with your feet and your feel. Once you like what you like, the question will answer itself.

Add to that, some of my clients like the feel of a “warm” floor, where others just like the feel of a “not cold” floor. So warmth is on the feet of the beholder

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
mrmilom1990

Nice info here. Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase