Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Best long lasting, slip proof, wet absorbing, floor runners?

Alright it might qualify as one the most boring topics on the forums, but I'm looking for a great quality floor runner to replace a batch that is wearing out now.

The kind I really like, and can't find any more locally, has a tough canvas type on top with a rubberized type bottom. Long as I'm asking might as well ask for the best – long-lasting, fairly lightweight, will roll up or fold hundreds of times without the rubber-like backing cracking, top will hold drips in the canvas type top but trap from going through. Dirt and thinset shakes off and looks brand new everyday. (Okay that was pushing it a bit) Should work equally well with hardwood and carpeted floors and stairways. Looking for the typical 4x15 size.

Anybody have some raves about yours?

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Can't tell by description alone but anyone tried these, or these and do they meet my high standards?

You might think I'd have to be high to have those standards, but why not ask?

Last edited by Topspin; 10-21-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Unread 10-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Bumpty, bump, bump - I can't be the only one who protects clients homes. But maybe everyone else uses newspapers I guess.

Unread 10-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Tilehelperdan

I just use regular old heavy canvas tarps. 3x15. They are a bit sketchy on hardwood, though.

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
-"Invictus" by William Ernest Henley
Tilehelperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Mr.Miyagi
Re-Remodeler & Re-Tiler

I pretty much quit using canvas runners on hardwood/tile/vinyl a couple of years ago. I switched over to floor runners and finish floor guard by Pro-Tect as they can be vacuumed easily with my Fein power head attachment, roll-up easily and can be reused multiple times. I use carpet film on carpeted traffic areas and standard canvas drops for areas that I use for tool & material storage. For demo, I'll cover the entire floor area with the floor runner then overlay with WR board or Ramboard. I'm usually on a project for weeks at a time so the investment is worth it to me, but on smaller project I can see the advantages of using the butyl backed drops & runners.

http://www.pro-tect.com/products/floor-protection.html
http://www.thepaintstore.com/Painter...d_Rags_s/5.htm
Unread 10-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I use the canvas ones. Plastic stick down carpet runner on carpet stairs. Hardwood stairs are usually case by case.

For in the room that's being tiled I'll use Ram board and I also have some shower pan liner scraps that I use. I have one that's about 28"x 55" that works great for a shower floor.

Never tried the high tech ones that you are referring to. They sound like a good idea though.
Unread 10-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Thanks for the love. Thought I was Post-er nongrata till you showed up. Thanks.

My installs are for mostly type A people (wife at home and impatient husband at work from 5:30 AM to 7PM) and when he comes home he's not gonna want to see any permanent trails. Rarely ever see the husbands but heard they're not ones to enjoy variations in their domain. So I pack up all my runners every night and lay them next day again.

Typical install is crossing a hardwood floor 25', up carpeted stairs requiring two runners, across landing, down hallway, into bedroom, then the bath cave. Typically need 6-7 15' long runners and then a canvas landing zone tarp as well. I don't use Ram board until after floor tiling and often just use that off white craft paper rolls for dry transit in the work area. Or when wet use AquaBar.

Just looking for something like below. It seemed to last for 5 yrs or more, not really canvas on top, but a tight weave of material that would absorb water, and the backside was an off white rubbery type of material. Maybe its butyl but don't know.

Took samples everywhere and they all said "yeah we used to have something like that but now we have this instead." and "this" stinks.

Other than a couple tears, my 5 yrs old (ideal) runner is in better shape than all the newer ones ive bought.

Here's a pic of what I like. if that helps.
Attached Images

Unread 10-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
jtiler

carpet floor runner

We get stuff like this form here: http://www.plasticover.com/ . Mostly carpet film, but last time they had a new floor runner that is pretty cool. hard to describe, but its like a woven material thats pretty absorbent and it had a "gummy" bittom that doesn't leak through. Looked for it on their site, but i don't see it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase