Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Grizwiser

BPA In Epoxy

My opinion: Why shouldn't we be questioning the use of epoxy.

Epoxy hardeners can be up to 75 % or more Bisphenol A *(BPA) and/or Bisphenol F (BPF). Are you protecting yourselves effectively? Do you realize that the absence of engineering controls and using the wrong PPE may not offer protection? Can the pay be worth it?

BPA mimics the effects of estrogen and is currently and in the past been linked to breast and prostate cancers, diabetes, birth defects and heart disease, among other things. Refer to Numerous experts and agencies - including the National Toxicology Program, the Environmental Working Group, National Institute of Health, Mayo Clinic, Centers for Disease Control, FDA and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.

Research links BPA to brain damage in fetuses, childhood obesity and early puberty for females. Bisphenol A has been linked to low levels of a key developmental hormone in newborn boys with undescended testicles. The latest research hits men where it hurts- According to a study just published in the journal Human Reproduction, BPA, at least at high doses, causes erectile dysfunction and significant sexual problems in men. The CBC television network produced an interesting documentary titled: "The Disappearing Male", that chronicles the increasing gap in the number of male-vs-female infants born, and the health effects of BPA. **

A new study presented Oct. 14, 2013 at the American Society for Reproductive Medicine's (ASRM) annual meeting in Boston found women with the highest levels of BPA, or bisphenol A, in their blood were significantly more likely to miscarry than women with the lowest levels of the ubiquitous chemical.

Women who had a miscarriage had higher BPA levels on average than women who had live births. Miscarriage risk rose with increasing levels of BPA in the mother's blood, with women in the group with the highest levels at about an 80 percent increased risk.

In vitro assays test with BPF have linked the chemical with potential genotoxic and endocrine activity. Sensitizing and cross-reaction Contact Dermatitis has been known to occur with both BPF and BPA.

How much greater is the Tile Installer's exposure the the average persons? Should we be doing more to educate and protect ourselves as an industry? Are we mindful to protect ourselves, other tradesmen and customers while using wet epoxy & furan? Are we aware that exposure can continue during the off-gassing and curing stages?

(By the way; since the environmental movement away from phosphate detergent, the replacement Enzymatic Soaps have been found to destroy epoxy).

I expect controversial responses from those who manufacture and sale epoxy, and concerned discourse from those who have to use it.

*Ingredients may be listed as synonyms, acronyms or be a chemical derivative.
**http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-disappearing-male/

Last edited by Grizwiser; 10-14-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Grizwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

I see you just joined the forums.

I read your post in another thread. Same rant.

Chill a bit.

No curb, walk-in shower.

Last edited by chuck stevenson; 10-14-2013 at 09:55 PM.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Sounds like Whipple in disguise.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Grizwiser.

You've been asked before, and I'll ask again. We welcome you and your posts, but ask a few simple things in return.

First, put a first name in your signature line for us as we're a pretty friendly group. Secondly, what is your expertise or background as it relates to the subject, or to the tile world - this is a tile forum after all. Putting that info into your profile will help folks understand who they're havin' "concerned discourse" with. Thanks.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

I moved this to the Pro Hangout. Discuss away.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

You are probably right. In this world we are surrounded by chemicals that are harmful. But to avoid them we would need to live in a bubble.

I do believe in PPE for epoxy grout and most materials we use for tile installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsinore
BPA mimics the effects of estrogen
And if you have a sense of humor. I have been using epoxy grout since 1991. Still managed to father two healthy sons in 2006 and 2008, and still prefer Sportscenter over the Hallmark channel

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
PetrH

I think the mods are being a bit polite. This forum is a kind of community, and you can't just jump in here and spout your agenda on several only slightly related threads. I agree that we should be concerned about BPA, it's found in virtually all clear plastics and the lining of all tin cans for food. It has been proven to affect the urinary tract and related systems. Do we need to run screaming from epoxy products? probably not.
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

I don't like it either.
What's the story Griz? Why do you care and what's your motivation?

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
madronatile
Tile Contractor -- Seattle, WA.

You can't just pop in and spout your agenda? Really?

www.madronatile.com
madronatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I spent about an hour reading quite a bit on the subject and found 2 camps; A- we really don't know yet as the studies are all over the map and B- they sky is falling.

I would imagine the greatest threat would be to the people who make this stuff. At factory levels they should be growing third eyes by now.

Wiki on the subject

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
So why not ban or heavily restrict its use? Well, this body of research is not without its own controversies and regulators across the world – with the notable exception of France – are not currently satisfied that BPA is harmful enough to warrant further restrictions. But huge volumes of research into BPA’s safety are ongoing, and many other countries are keeping an open mind as to whether further controls will be needed in the future.

according to this well balanced article

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Educated friends and family with small kids have moved away from using many plastics due to the increased awareness of potential problems. Me, i just bought a few new water bottles a little while ago that have BPA free labels on em... whatever that means.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

im not planing on having any more kids and seeing as my eyesight is failing a third eye would come in handy
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #14
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
I happen to love Epoxy grouts, whatever the side effects are I can live with over the stress of wondering how the standard sanded grout is going to turn out when I do a basement. Sometimes stress is much more of a pollutant than any epoxy grout.

Yes look at Isaac he is as normal as a tilesetter can be

Maybe Griswald works for one of those who makes the urethane grouts, so he is an Epoxy hater, personally I would give up going tile if I couldn't use
SpectraLock since we are on the subject of epoxy grouts. We are tiling most of the time and grouting just a little bit of it unless you are a helper in a commercial setting and grouting 8 hours a day. If you are you aren't using epoxy

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

I'm also concerned about BPA levels. Luckily for me, they have made epoxy grout so easy to use I only let toddlers install it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase