Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
SSK

Pete's Tiling over Concrete Patio

My mom said she got an installation only quote to do her enclosed patio of 200 square feet, for 4,000 dollars. This was a contractor who did previous work on the house. I told her to tell them to *!@# off. 20 bucks a square foot and no cuts! I assume they did not want the job. This is a ground level job in the summer, and I would assume that maybe 1500 would be in the ballpark. So I told her I would do it for her. I have never done a tile over concrete, but I am confident I tile as well as most guys who do this for a living. Just a lot slower. I have spent a lot of time on this site and have learned a lot. I have done a few bathrooms and other floors, but is there anything unique I need to worry about for tiling over concrete in a space that is not temperature regulated. Here is the room
Name:  IMG_1675.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  43.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1677.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  34.8 KB
Do I need any isolation membrane or can I just use a good modified thinset directly on the concrete? The plan would be 18x18 or 12&24 The surface is crack free and in excellent condition. Would you grout up to the walls or use a caulk?

Also how would you recommend finishing this off at the doorways. Currently there is nice brickwork at the doorway, but maybe that gets covered up. I could do some kind of Schluter transition to either keep the brick or go to the end of the brick.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 06-25-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
CountryBumkin

Send a message via ICQ to CountryBumkin
Pete, is that patio area subject to freezing?
Also how old is the concrete?
If you tile directly over the patio concrete any settling/cracking of the concrete will transmit through the tile. That is where/why an isolation membrane is used. There are "flexible" mortars available too that allow a little movement without cracking, but not as good as an isolation membrane.
You are supposed to use caulk in the transition (from floor to wall) joints since this is where the minor movements occur first.
There are "bullnose" tiles that could be used at the door openings - but that would make the brick tile lower than the new tile (will hold dirt/water). I would tile over it to keep finished floor the same height.
Make sure the tile you use has a high COF (slip resistance) if the area is also subject to getting wet.

Last edited by CountryBumkin; 06-25-2016 at 06:44 AM.
CountryBumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You say the concrete is in excellent condition. But is it flat? It will need to be with large tiles like you are installing.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase