Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-02-2005, 07:17 AM   #1
Iggy

Reversal of Mudding Shower Curb & Floating Floor

In JB's and MB's articles on shower floor and curbs, the curb is floated prior to packing the deck mud over the pre slope and liner. They also show the walls tiled prior to packing the deck mud. Question: Can this process be reversed? That is:

1. Pack deck mud on shower floor to proper height.
2. Mud the curb with fat mud.
3. Tile walls, curb, and finally shower floor.

Is there some advantage to tileing the walls prior to putting the deck mud on the shower floor? It seems that if the floor was done first, the pressure/weight of the deck mud would have two advantages:

1. Put pressure against the liner to press it as far as possible into the corners along the inside curb, thus making it as tight as possible prior to mudding the curb.

2. The deck mud would also provide an anchor for the mesh covering the curb on the inside of the shower, making it more stable and secure for applying the fat mud.

Thanks in advance, Mike
Unread 09-02-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
Arn
Oregon Tile Guy

Mike:

There are no deadset rules in the order. I mud my curbs last. JB prolly likes the mud on his dam to extend down into the floor for support.
~I do it it in the order I was taught. I haven't seen any problems in my installations and I don't even use caulking!

Best of luck!

~Mind over Mortar
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
Iggy

Aaron, Thanks for your quick response and perspective. Now I see why you recommended running the lath for the curb lengthwise in my other post, since it is anchored in your deck pack prior to mudding it. That would give it an added stiffness. One's process compliment and dictate [at times] the method of getting the job done. Thanks again. Mike

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase