Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #1
kisonay

Shower Remodeling Advice

I’m an avid DIYer but have never tackled a shower like this before so am hoping to get a little guidance/advice.

My house is 5 years old and I feel the builder really messed up this shower. It has large sanded grout lines and because of this, there is water seepage and has mold / water issues which have appeared over the last year or two which now seems to be traveling into the wall.

Because of this I’m planning on ripping everything out and doing it correctly but I like to have a full plan before starting anything.

The current pan is cultured marble at 40” x 37” with a 13” tiled bench to the right. This bench is useless to my wife and I so I want to remove it (will also be less chance of water intrusion in the future.) There is also a large 8” curb/threshold in the front.

If I remove the bench and acquire 3” of the threshold I can have a new shower pan of 53” x 40”, a 5” threshold, and an offset drain (20” from the left/19” from the back) This drain is not easily movable since I’m on a concrete slab.

This unique size prevents me from buying anything preformed which points me to a mud pan which I find a bit intimidating.

So, my plan is to tear down everything, remove the bench, existing shelves, and increase the height of wall to the right (see pictures) adding a large niche to hold shampoos, etc. Re-panel the new enclosure with cement board, mud a custom pan and line everything with KERDI membrane. Once that is done I can re-tile with a much smaller tile.

My questions are…

Any pointers on removing the existing shower pan? Are there any tricks since I do not have basement access?

Being on a cement slab, are there any recommendations for a new drain?

Is my proposed solution above flawed? What should I look out for or look to do differently?

I'm attaching a second photo of the area while the house was being built (what I'm expecting to discover after tearing everything out.)

Thank you all in advance,

Brian
Attached Images

Last edited by kisonay; 05-07-2021 at 10:55 AM.
kisonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Brian.

I'm a bit confused. You ask how to remove the shower pan, but it appears in your second photo that the existing receptor has been removed.

I would recommend you move that drain to the center of the new footprint of the shower after removal of the bench. I've done most of my shower work over concrete SOG floors and find it's not really all that difficult to re-locate drains. You'll need to be chipping some concrete to install your Kerdi drain, anyway.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
kisonay

I'm sorry, I should have explained, the second photo is the area while the house was being built. That is what I am expecting to see after tearing out this nonsense. I updated the original post to indicate this.
Unread 05-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

No way to really tell what it will take to remove the cultured marble receptor, but it's likely a simple matter of brute force with pry-bar and pounder.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
kisonay

I have a post tension cable foundation which make me very hesitant to relocate the drain myself. If I go that route, I would need to outsource that to a professional which would likely be expensive.

I have the room to raise the pan. Would it be unheard of to relocate it on top of the slab with a horizontally (pitched) pipe to center and mud around it?

Last edited by kisonay; 05-07-2021 at 11:49 AM.
kisonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Schluter makes just such a drain, Brian, see attached. No idea if it is code compliant in your location though. https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...H?facets=false
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase