Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
cborg1

joist dflection issue

I have a 1920's double brick constructed house. I have a large side to side concrete porch in front of the house. A portion of that porch has a sunroom that opens up into the main house. It had the original wood floor that flows into the rest of the house but I want to lay cable heat and tile there now.
I just started ripping out the old floor and plank subfloor (I plan on spray foaming the slab) The joists sit approx 2-3 inches above the slab. When I first started ripping up the porch I found a 2 x 6 inch joist and I thought I was ok for tile but as I continued ripping up the porch, I have found that the rest of the joists are 2x4's 16in. on centre (real ones cause their old) and only 1 2x6 joist. I also found that the joists aren't imbedded in the exterior brick wall but are being supported by blocks of wood and brick and attached to a 2x2 plate attached to the wall. My plan was to level the floor and give it added support by sistering 2x8's (I bought them when I thought I had 2x6 joists) to the existing joists but now I'm not sure they will give me the added support I need for tile. I will definitely be adding extra support under the joists and blocking but will that be enough if they aren't imbedded into the brick?
Unread 05-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

CB, we can't tell you anything at all about that without knowing the unsupported span of the joists.

As for the end support, I'd need to see how that was done to determine if it was sufficient to your purpose.

Some photos would surely help to give us some perspective of the project.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase