Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-28-2001, 05:52 PM   #1
Stephen

Anyone seen a good book that shows designs for like foyers and unusal designs for tile?

Thanks,
Stephen
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-29-2001, 02:45 PM   #2
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

Bud would be the guy, he's a surfer in a new age kinda way, always coming up with cool sites. Saved my ass more than once, I'll add.
Sonnie Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2001, 06:36 PM   #3
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

I'm sorry to report when someone else was here a few weeks ago asking for tile design ideas I did an extensive search and came up with a goose egg.

It's surprising how much information there could be there and apparently is not.

Unless I just didn't come up with the right words.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2001, 09:34 PM   #4
Kirk Downey

Gents and John -
- Tile Designs and perhaps Pictures to show them off -
Maybe this is the right combination of things to inspire another branch of the John Bridge Forum.

John - You really inspired some folks with the images of that hotel foyer. 'Course craftsmen like to keep some secrets - but they do like to show off their gems. For everyone in life, we do our functional jobs day-in-day-out and revel in the few really great moments when client and craftsman create beauty.

If the real greats, like y'all, could post a photo in a gallery with picture of the layout or thinking sketches - and listen to the oohs and aahs and chatter - it would be pretty cool. It also might aleviate some of that solitude that goes with so much of the work.

Call it the Finished Foyer, or the Spit and Polish - or the any other ideas out there - Sonny, word up

Kirk
God is Love

Kirk Downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2001, 09:41 PM   #5
Simple

"Photo Shop"
Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2001, 10:21 PM   #6
Bud Cline

Stephen,

Now that I've had some time to think about it there are some publications that come to mind. You should be able to find these items at your local library.

Probably the best known trade magazine for tile is called Tile & Deco (Tile & Decorative Surfaces). Tile & Deco I think is published six times per year with a big annual contribution. The subscription cost is $50 per year and it is supposedly only for professionals.

Another well known and circulated trade magazine is Decorative Tile & Design. Basically the same story, full of everything that is currently going on in the tile design industry.

Another is the well known Architectural Digest. Though not totally tile related as the other two are, there are always plenty of state of the art tile articles.

These are some good places to start.
Unread 10-29-2001, 11:06 PM   #7
SGT

Saw a book just the other day in one of the box stores but can't remember which one. It was like a Better Homes and Garden or Sommerset type book. Lots of neat designs and layouts of different tile jobs!
SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2001, 04:33 PM   #8
Bud Cline

Looks like it's back to the library but here's a whole list of books about all types of tile designs. Sorry, no pictures.

http://www.tiles.org/pages/bookshlf/booklist.htm

Take a look at this website it has plenty of photos. Rob, do you know of these guys?

http://www.creativetile.com/catalog.html

[Edited by Bud Cline on 10-30-2001 at 05:40 PM]
Unread 10-30-2001, 04:41 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Kirk and all,

I am working on another page, an album that will contain all sorts of pictures. I want to capture many of the pictures that have been posted to the forum, for one thing.

There will be family photos, project shots, etc. It will be easy to incorporate another category or two.

Having another board just means we have another board to keep up with. I'm pushed for time, and I know the other tile guys and gals are too. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

The new page is out there. It's just not listed on the Internet yet. It looks like the other pages of the main site. You can check it out at http://johnbridge.com/john's_album.htm

Obviously it is under construction. I work on it a little in my spare time (which is nonexistent).
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2001, 05:58 PM   #10
Stephen

Hey, thanks for all the replies. It sure helps when a client says "I don't know what I want show me something"????
I could say come to my house but I don't want to. Better yet I could say go to this web site or book. I like the idea of a photo album.
Stephen
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2001, 06:41 PM   #11
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

From a sales point of view sending them to a website not a good idea, suppose they see something get all excited, and where are you? Nobody there to sign them up! Ok to visit site if your there.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2001, 08:28 PM   #12
Jerry The Tile Guy
Seattle Tile Pro

Photo site

Hey John I went a looking at the photo web site. Not able to look at any pictures? None of the catagories link.
Unread 10-31-2001, 05:40 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Jerry,

That's because I'm still working on the page. I tried to explain that. Guess I didn't do a good job. All of the photos are other places on this site. Some of them here. Some on my tile and marble page. Some on the gardening page, etc.

The actual web site is http://johnbridge.com/
Unread 11-07-2001, 06:04 PM   #14
Cami A
Official Hostess and Moderator at Large

I actually came across a site with lots of tile pics, so I thought I'd pass it on to all of those who aren't off to Dallas...
http://www.designsintile.com/
Unread 11-10-2001, 06:27 PM   #15
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Thanks, Cami, but they make those tiles themselves to fit the installation. We gotta cut ours to fit.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase