Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Deew424

Kitchen Backsplash

I'm new here and I've been searching and reading a lot! I am about to complete my kitchen remodel by finally finishing the backsplash. I've chosen 4x4 tumbled marble 6" glass for a pencil and a mixed mosaic of tumbled marble and glass on a sheet. My question is can I use Laticrette for the entire installation or do I need to use something else because of the glass tiles? Should I seal the tiles before I install or after I install them? Here are pictures of the tiles and a basic idea on how I will install them.

Also since I'm mixing types of tiles and I have glass ones I'm assuming I should use non-sanded grout so it won't scratch the glass.

DeeName:  uploadfromtaptalk1370138282963.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  64.9 KB

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Dee. :eve:

You certainly could use all Laticrete products if you wished it. But can we ask which thinset you had in mind?

What size grout width do you have going on there? 1/8"? If so, I'd be more apt to use Laticrete Permacolor (sanded grout) for the grout so I wouldn't have to deal with shrinkage issues of unsanded grout on relatively big 1/8" grout lines (and on some of those holes in the faces of the tile). While it's sanded and that's a normal concern when using glass tiles, the sand particles are smaller and more rounded than other sanded grouts. So it's less likely to scratch the tile. But it would pay to test. It comes down to this: Some glass is scratched by sanded grout and some is not...it pays to test ahead of time.

And I find it convenient to seal the faces of the tiles after they are installed and the thinset has had a chance to dry....then again after it's grouted. But do stick to the same sealer before and after.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Deew424

After reading and researching I was planning on the Laticrette 255 (seems to be a consensus on the forum it's good stuff! . My plan is 1/8 grout joints. Is that too big?? Thank you for the help!!!

Unread 06-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

When I need non-sag or medium bed mortar, Laticrete 255 is my first choice.

1/8" isn't too big for the tiles. But it's technically the maximum spacing for unsanded grout. With the way unsanded grout wants to shrink, I'd gravitate towards that sanded Permacolor (and do a test to make sure it doesn't scratch).

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
XrayX

I like to set that tile with basically butt joints, since the edges are rounded it give the appearance of larger joints than you use. Once grouted. Also un sanded grout works best with what I just said. If you space them definitely sanded.
XrayX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Deew424

Thank you! I think I'll do two tests. One with the 1/8 joint and sanded grout and one with the butt joint and unsanded. Thanks again. It's good to know I'm on the right track!!!

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dee, please don't try butt-jointing those tiles. The tile industry standards call for no grout joint less that 1/16th" wide. That's the absolute minimum.

If Mr. XrayX wants to butt-join his tiles, that's up to him.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
airscapes

Butt joints are going to look like crap with the difference in tile sizes of the tumbled tiles. To allow the grout lines to look straight, you need them to be 3x the greatest difference in size from tile to tile. I would guess you have read my install thread since you said you have been reading and that was covered for tumbled trav... No glass but layout issues 45 with inside and outside corners, grout spacing, grout haze and sealing.
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=103271

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase