Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
K&D

Installing slate outside?

I was thinking of installing slate outside for a patio? Right now there is dirt there....Any thoughts of how to install the slate on the dirt? I was thinking of putting gravel and sand and laying the tiles on top or putting plywood with marine paint on it so it doesn't detoriate and then sticking the tiles on with some sort of adhesive???? Help......
K&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
John Corley

Hello

You need to pour a concrete slab.

or you could frame something out of wood with the proper joist spacing and deflection ratings for stone. Then go over it with some kind of CBU then water proof and install the stone after that.

Making a concrete slab is the best option though.
Unread 05-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
John Corley

or you could just use some pavers.

pavers can be set in sand and gravel.

don't know what your budget is like.
Unread 05-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
K&D

Our first thought was to put in pavers. Our area is about 200 square feet. We had a guy come out and give us and estimate and it was roughly $4000...so we said forget it.....We really don't want to pour cement cause thats expensive too....So, now what????
K&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
John Corley

Your best bet is probably some kind of paver then.

It will look nice and will not cost as much.

Especially if you do it yourself.
Unread 05-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Pavers are the cheapest way to go, unless you just want a concrete patio.

Paver installation done by yourself should cost around $800 to $1000, that's for the pavers, base material, and anything else that will be needed.

$4000 sounds high, I would charge $12 a ft. for a basic install.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Dave Army

Cool Patio Tiling Advice

I was looking into getting 360/sq ft of slate tiling done to my patio but whenever I get an estimate the only advice I get is to use paver stones. I live in N.Y. which is subject to some very drastic climates but I have done some research on which tiles to use and am also aware that paver stones can be laid in gravel and sand. I am concerned because both estimates I received were between 5k-6k and both companies wanted to concrete my patio and then set the pavers with mortar/thinset. Is it safe to assume I am being had or am I getting good advice to not use slate and go with pavers in a northeast climate. Last I checked this forum t was roughlt 12$ per sq ft for pavers. I am confused on what to do, any suggestions?
Dave Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A properly prepared gravel, stone sand, sand, bed would be cheaper than a concrete pad as a base. The problem with many of these installs is the base is not deep enough or compacted properly. If done right, it should be fine without the concrete pad. An advantage of the concrete pad is you aren't as likely to have weeds or grass grow up through it, but if properly prepared, that should be minimal. In either case, make sure you account for drainage slope. I think you might have more trouble with pavers cemented down that those set in a proper sand bed. Best to get some other opinions, though. Often they will cement (mortar) the outside row when set on a concrete slab, then sand the rest of them in. This allows them to avoid having to use an edging system to hold the pavers in line.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase