Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #46
DaveKB

Moving Forward...

The marble floor is finally down & looking good! Thanks to all for the guidance thus far.

I've decided to use an enhancer on this marble and purchased Stone Tech's Enhancer Pro Sealer. It's a solvent based enhancer & sealer which I selected figuring it would be more durable and longer lasting than a water based sealant. Manufacturer claims 3-5 years durability...I'm figuring less because it's a shower.

My plan is to:
1. Apply initial application of enhancer/sealer to tops of tiles only...PRIOR to grouting. I'm thinking this will act as a grout release as well.
2. Grout the floor with cementitious (sanded) grout. Not sure who's product I'm going to use yet.
3. Allow grout to cure per manuf. recommendations.
4. Seal grout and marble (again) with a non-enhancing sealer. I'm thinking Stone Tech's Impregnator Pro Sealer.

My questions regarding this process are...
1. Is there any special preparation prior to applying the initial application of the enhancer? Manufacturer doesn't say.
2. Is it safe to assume this product will act as a grout release?
3. Is any grout product better than the next with regards to not scratching soft stone? Suggestions?
4. Is Impregnator Pro a good choice for the grout as well? Manufacturer does not specify.

And as always, thanks for the reliable and timely information.

Cheers!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #47
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Your plan looks good to me Dave.

1- Most just require the tile be clean and dry. I'll typically just wipe them down with a damp white cotton towel and let dry. Check them to make sure there aren't glue or mortar blobs on em first.

2- To some degree maybe, but it's not designed as a grout release of course. I wouldn't worry about using it as you describe though.

3- Always test first to be 100% sure, but with honed stone, you should be fine. I'd recommend something like Laticrete Spectra LOCK or Perma Color.

4- Here's where i may differ a bit. I'd use one product throughout, for "release", stone, and grout sealer. I haven't used those specific products, but believe either would be fine for all uses. My concern is that unless recommended to layer 1 product over the other by the manufacturer, I wouldn't chance it without knowing it will work and look good.

Lets see what others say.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #48
DaveKB

Thanks for your reply Dana.

My initial plan was to enhance the tile but not the grout. I've read that using an enhancer on grout can have erratic and undesirable results...definitely want to avoid that.

I'll call dupont's tech support and get their blessing before going forward.

Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #49
DaveKB

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me get to this point so far. I know y'all like pitchers...so here's one of the finished floor, pre-grout. Best part of all...Mrs. KB loves it!
Name:  DSCN8735.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  65.5 KB

We went to pick out grout today, and to say the least, we were overwhelmed. Definitely want to go with a darker color to blend in with the tile rather than a contrasting color.

I guess my questions this time around are:
1. Any suggestions on preferred grout manufacturer & color for a Emperador Dark marble? I know...user's preference.
2. Does any of the manufacturers provide grout samples, or do you just buy the smallest box possible and store the unused remainder for the rest of your life?

Thanks all...Cheers!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #50
cx
Da Home Builder

1. BINGO!

2. None that I'm aware of. And please don't bother trying to store your unused sample for more than a month or so even if it was well sealed shortly after opening. Make colorful yard bunnies or throw it away.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #51
DaveKB

Thanks CX,

I have 2 boxes of Polyblend, well over 6 months old now that I can safely delegate to the local landfill.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #52
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Check Custom's Tobacco brown, I believe I've used it with Dk Emperador.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #53
DaveKB

Thanks for the suggestion Davy...that particular one was at the top of our list as well. I guess that'll be the one!

Thanks again...
Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #54
DaveKB

Ditra Question...

Concerned about the Ditra I just set on my bathroom floor.

Is it normal for Ditra to have a “marbled” appearance when it is first laid down? In other words, it looks like the thinset shows thru the Ditra more in some areas than others?

I used grey Versabond on concrete slab. Used a ¼”x3/16” V notch trowel and had good coverage when I lifted a corner. Pressed it down real good, sits nice and flat with no noticeable air bubbles. I guess I figured the thinset would show through more evenly.

Does this sound normal or do I have reason for concern?

Thanks all…
Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #55
cx
Da Home Builder

Dave, pull up the Ditra immediately after laying it in any area of concern and see if you're getting good coverage on the back. Should be 100 percent. If it is, pay no attention to what it looks like from the top.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #56
DaveKB

Thanks cx...I appreciate your response.

I did have 100% coverage underneath, thinset even squished out the edges when I smoothed it out...I was just concerned about the appearance from the top side. Aparently I'm good to go!

Thanks again...I can always count on ya'
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #57
Lilmiss3

Dave,
I sent you a private message re: what you ended-up doing when it comes to sealing.... you'd discussed using a solvent-based, color-enhancing prior to grouting, then another kind (non-solvent-based, non-enhancing) just on the grout after grouting. One of the folks here advised against 'mixing' the two types of sealants, and I was wondering what you ended up doing...???
Thanks,
~ Lynn
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #58
DaveKB

Lynn,

I saw your private message, but not till late last night & didn't have time for a proper response. Thanks for asking the same question here since others may benefit from this post as well.

Other than the solvent based enhancing sealer, I haven’t done anything else to the marble. I have not decided on a color or manufacturer of the grout, but leaning towards Laticrete's espresso. Once grouted I plan on sealing the entire floor, tiles (again) & grout, with Stone Tech's Impregnator Pro Sealer which is also solvent based. Therefore, I will not be mixing different types of sealants, which I agree…would not be a good idea.

Hope this helps with your project…where abouts you located in Arizona?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #59
Lilmiss3

Hey, Dave....
I was afraid you were done with your project and, thus, wouldn't be logging in here again any time soon.
So, you're using two different, solvent-based sealers made by the same company, the only difference is one is color-enhancing (to be used pre-grouting) and the other isn't (to be used post-grouting)....???
Or, did you use the color-enhancing sealer BEFORE LAYING your tile....???

My concern is that I DIDN'T use the color-enhancing sealer BEFORE LAYING the tile, and if I do it now, BEFORE GROUTING, that it might get in the grout lines and inhibit the grout's ability to 'stick.' It's a mosaic in a brick pattern and the tiles are only 5/8" wide, so there's LOTS of little grout lines in a staggered pattern, which seems too easy for sealer to get in those lines, you know...???

I live in Mesa. You?
~ Lynn
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #60
DaveKB

Lynn,

That's correct…two sealers; one enhancing, one not. I used the enhancing sealer AFTER I laid the tile. I will use the non-enhancing sealer on the entire floor after I grout.

I was concerned about the sides of the tiles as well, but it didn't seem to be much of a problem. I used an old tee shirt (tightly wadded) to apply the enhancer only to the tops of the tiles. The marble is so porous, it instantly starts absorbing the liquid & didn't run down the sides. Just don't let the t-shirt material get too saturated…turn to a fresh spot every once in a while. And wipe in the long direction of your tiles, not across the grout lines. It's painstakingly slow, but I think you'll find it will work in your case as well.

Cheers…from Tucson

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase