Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
Shel8043

Help installing travertine pool coping

We are going to install travertine coping and a concrete pool deck. I am finding very little installation information. We are doing it all ourselves. It is a vinyl liner pool, so it will be installed on the metal beam of the pool and the concrete base we made for it to sit on. It will also be on the top edge of our steps and swim out so we need to secure it to them as well which are plastic. What would be the best thing to lay them with? We had read Flexbond or a flexible mortar due to freeze/thaw, but will that adhere to the metal beam and plastic stairs? Also how deep does the mortar need to be? I read 1", does that sound right? Do you want to lay them level or slightly sloping away from pool for runoff?
How wide should the expansion joint between the coping and the concrete be, and what do you fill it in with? Lastly, what do you grout it with? Just regular sanded grout? Sorry for all the question! Thank you!
Unread 05-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Welcome Michelle.

I think we're gonna need a few photos here. You want to install over metal & plastic?

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

To be honest you should hire a pro. You have expensive material and you lack the knowledge that comes from years of experience with installing similar jobs.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Karl, this is a DIY forum and we try to help the visitors do the projects they are asking about, rather than telling them they should hire a professional. There are occasions when we'll come to the conclusion with the particular visitor that the project is beyond their individual capabilities, but thus far we don't know enough about this product nor this visitor to make such a conclusion, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Installing over metal and plastic,egads lol. Only product I would use in that case,would be an epoxy,for bonding. Expansion and contraction issues to be considered too,esp if you live in a freeze/thaw area.

All that being said,I wouldn't bond over either,with what you're describing.
I would go over a footer,cinder block footing etc,or I wouldn't do it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase