Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-06-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
cmilot6329

Tiling 2 small bedrooms with wood look tile

Hey all,

I'm looking to tile 2 small bedrooms and just had a few question. I recently tiled our living room and laundry room with 20 x 20 tile. It was hard work but with the help and advise of people in this forum was able to complete it and I think it turned out pretty good overall.

This will be the first time installing wood look plank tile (6 x 24). I will probably be doing 1/8th grout lines and using the raimondi leveling system. My question is regarding where to start and the transition between the hallway tile and the bedroom tiles. The hallway tiles end directly underneath where the door closes so i'm not seeing a very good way to make any sort of transition. I figured I would just butt the bedroom tiles up against the hallway tiles. Is this an acceptable practice?

I also read to start with a full tile at the doorway. So figured the doorway would be the best place to start. Since this is the only entrance to the room wouldn't I end up trapping myself? Where do you all start tiling when doing a bedroom with 1 entrance? I've thought about measuring out and starting somewhere else but I feel like by the time I got to the doorway I wouldn't have exactly 1 full tile with a perfect grout line at the doorway.

Here are a few photos of what I'm working with. Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 10-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Gozo

Lay it out and measure very carefully. But, I, like you, would be hesitant it would still be lined up by the tiled I tiled my way out. Dry lay it and snap some guide lines on the floor. I’d leave the non-mortared tiles there and put some thin plywood over them to distribute any weight walking over them. You could do the first few rows, step over them, and come back later to finish up. Or you could start at the door, work your way in and just hang around until it sets up. Perhaps you could dodge out a convenient window....
Unread 10-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Your hallway tiles are perfect the way they land directly under the door when it’s in the closed position.

This isn’t a race. I’d start at the doorway and work your way in as far as you can without getting yourself trapped. Put a 2x plank on a couple of short 2x4s to make a bridge over the fresh tile and back to the hallway. Then start the other room and do the same. Before you know it, you can come back the next day to work further into each room. Repeat until finished.

If you haven’t already, I’d dress the edges of the existing hall tiles in the doorway to ease the otherwise sharp edges. It’ll make the transition between the two different tiles a little bit better.

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 10-07-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Kman

I did a couple of rooms in my own house like Tonto described above. The hallway was already done, and stopped at the doors to both rooms.

I did the first three to four rows all the way down that bedroom wall from the doorway, then continued on, leaving the last tile or two out on the end of the room where the door is, giving myself a way out.

Are the doorways across from each other? In my case, they are, resulting in a long run from the end of one room, through the doorways, to the opposite end of the other room.

Since that run was over fifteen feet, I used caulking at one doorway that matches the grout. You can't see that it's there, and it makes a necessary expansion joint.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2019, 11:16 PM   #5
cmilot6329

Thank you all for the replies! i like the 2x4 bridge idea to get back to the hallway. Can you explain what you mean by dressing up the edge of the hallway tiles to make a better transition? The rooms are next to each other and the doorways are 90 degrees to each other. Here is a pic
Attached Images

Unread 10-08-2019, 12:34 AM   #6
Kman

Dressing up the tile means to use a rubbing stone on the cut edge so it's not so sharp. Just a slight bevel is all it takes.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2019, 01:54 AM   #7
cmilot6329

Oh perfect, I have one of those so will go ahead and do that, thanks!
Unread 10-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If those are slab cracks I'm seeing, I'd take the time to put down an anti-fracture membrane. The tiles will most likely crack directly over those slab cracks if you don't.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
cmilot6329

I do have mapelastic CI that I will be using over the entire floor before tiling. The cracks are luckily in plane. House was built 20 years ago so hopefully most settling has already occurred.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase