Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
RobertWK

Polished AB Granite verification and tile installation questions

I (hope) I have real black granite tile that I am dealing with.

I tried the acetone test on some cuttings and fortunately nothing came off either the polished side or the raw side, but the lemon juice test caused the tile to lighten on the drop sites after 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, and 20 minutes after exposure. There was no bubbling on the site.

Is there any way to know if what lightened is the factory sealant (if there was any applied) or if the tile itself has been etched?

Is this a legitimate valid indicator of real AB granite?

Assuming I don't have real AB granite tiles, would it be a good ideal to seal the both polished and unpolished surfaces of the tiles before I install them with thinset(?), and then grout? I haven't been able to find a clear answer on this.

Also unfortunately I haven't been able to find what the best recommended medium for setting the tile is, whether it is in fact thinset or some other tile adhesive, and there are mixed opinions on what trowel size to use.

I apologize for the volume of this post, but I have run into some stumbling blocks before I perform the install.
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Stone Dude

"real" black absolute is not really a definitive thing anymore. Some of it is acid sensitive, some of it is not. Some of it is dyed, some of it is not.

Do not seal it, before or after installation.

use a modified white thinset to install.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
dbitton
Professional Stoner

I concur with Stone Dude.. as for trowel size, If it's 12x12 or smaller 1/2" notch will be fine, if it's larger you may want a larger notch.
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
RobertWK

I have two more questions.

What is modified thinset? My local lowes sells the MAPEI bagged stuff but there are like 12 different kinds.

Also what can I use to be sure all of my tiles are level relative to the next? I've seen the new tile installation system pictures on this forum but I haven't seen anything like that in a store. My surface is relatively flat but there's no assurance.

I'm not really great at 'seeing flat'.
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Robert.

If your tiles are flat and your substrate is flat, I would consider a 1/2"x1/2" square notched trowel far too large for your application. I'd recommend starting with a 1/4" square notch and see what kind of coverage you're getting then move up if you need to. The object is to get 80 percent or 95 percent coverage on the back of each tile at a minimum thickness of 3/32nds of an inch. The coverage requirement depends upon your application, which we do not know.

To differentiate amongst the thinset mortars, learn to read the labels on the bags of thinset pookey so you're not trying to memorize brand identifications. There's waaaaay too many of'em.

An un-modified thinset mortar, ofter referred to as a dry-set mortar, will always say on the bag that it meets ANSI A118.1 when mixed with water.

A modified thinset mortar will say on the bag that it meets ANSI A118.4 when mixed with water.

A modified thinset mortar suitable for use over exterior glue plywood will say on the bag that it meets ANSI A118.11 when mixed with water. Those mortars will also always meet A118.4, but the inverse is not necessarily true.

A118.1 = Un-modified.

A118.4 = Modified

A118.11 = Modified and suitable for use on plywood.

Look on your bags. If there are no such numbers, don't buy the material for anything.

That all applies for another couple months, but after that it's fixin' to get more complicated.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
RobertWK

Thanks so much!

I'm making a countertop, with one section like 2 x 2 and the other 2 x 6, roughly, that is divided by an oven, range.

I'm also using rondec step around the front and edges with corner pieces.

Do I have to mitre the corners of the rondec on the installation surface or is it okay to just lay the corners on top of each other?

Obviously I want no lippage whatsoever.
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
RobertWK

Since I am also going to be retiling my bathroom with granite and marble at some point, I am considering ordering the tornado clips and rings. Is this a reasonable system for what I'm doing?

I've seen some others that seem to cost a lot more, but I can find 100 clips and rings for about 30 dollars.

Are there other systems of comparable price?
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
RobertWK

I apologize for asking a ton of questions, but also do I want a medium bed modified thinset? Is modified thinset by default a certain density?
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

You must miter the bonding flange of the profiles, do not let them overlap.

No idea on the price of the Tornado tools.

Thinset mortars are limited to a thickness of between 3/32nds" and 1/4" installed. Medium-bed mortars have no standard but generally have a maximum thickness limit of about 3/4" per the manufacturer. All medium-bed mortars to my knowledge are modified mortars.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 04-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
RobertWK

Do I want the tiles to rest at the same height of the tallest portion of the rondec step?

And should I grout or thinset the gap?
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
RobertWK

Cosmetically screwed up tiles during install

I did a fairly decent job at everything else but managed to scratch up all my tiles.

I'm kind of at a loss on what I should do. Thankfully this is only one-third of the project ( ) and I need some advice on if and how this should be fixed.

These are circular scratch marks from my failure to clean up the thinset before screwing on tornado leveling rings. They are pretty shallow, and I have lots of chips left to try different scratch removal techniques. If all else fails, I'll need to contact somebody.
Attached Images

Unread 04-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

What type of tile was used? Porcelain ? Stone?

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
RobertWK

In theory, Polished ab granite.
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Robert, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Unread 04-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
RobertWK

Ah, ok. I did not know. My apologies.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase