Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
Pyohe

Remodeling shower..where to start?

Hi, all!

I have a hall bathroom that needs a larger shower. Currently, it has a 33" fiberglass or acrylic shower. I don't know the difference.

It is a corner shower so two walls will be glass. I hate cleaning grout, so the floor will be a solid surface base of some kind. I have no idea what is behind the plastic panels, so I will leave those questions until later.

I think I need to make sure I buy a corner shower base that glass walls will work on, but I really don't know what to look for. I don't even know what questions to ask. I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

I am looking at The Onyx Collection 36" x 48" matte base. Their glossy bases have a gel coat that can scratch. Or maybe a Swanstone base or Transolid or a cast iron pan. I would like low profile.

Any advice? Start with shower base? Glass walls? Thank you.
Attached Images

Unread 04-06-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The cost of glass doors/walls varies from hundreds (off-the-shelf stuff in limited sizes) up into the thousands (custom fit to your exact shower). Maybe you’d like to start with a couple of potential bases that you are interested in, then price out the glass before going much further?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
Pyohe

Shower bases

Ok, thanks. I will start out finding a base, then the glass and door for two sides.

And...figure out if the drain will match up. It is on a slab.
Unread 04-10-2020, 11:11 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Realize that you can enlarge the hole in the slab to move your drain around if needed. It’s not usually an awful task to accomplish. If you need, we can talk you through any portion of your remodel.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
Pyohe

1966 shower remodel

Hi, all. I live in an area where there are few really good tile layers, if any at all. So, I have decided to use a solid surface, dual threshold, low profile shower base like The Onyx Collection. I don't care which brand I use, but I need to order a shower base soon.

I have the old plastic shower pan removed along with the paneling drywall that the original owners used. I know it should have been a waterproof material.

I need to measure for a shower base. I know I need to subtract the wall material and the tile depth to account for that, but I don't know which wall surface to use. Is it Durock or cement board?

I know the tile will be installed on some kind of troweled on surface, but I don't know what that is called. I also don't know the thickness of the ridges and how much will be squashed when the tile is put on. I don't know the terminology to use to explain this. So, besides the thickness of the wall board and the tile, how much more will I add? Maybe the tile I choose will say the thickness of the ??? that should be used?

Edit:
I just found this info from dhagin on this forum...

-Solid surface shower receptors are typically .4 - .5" solid surface material with minimal backing of other materials. The color & pattern on the surface is the same as the color & pattern all the way through the material. Seamless invisible repairs are fairly straight forward.
-Acrylic or gel-coat receptors are plastic bodied with various coatings on the surface to give them their color and finish. They are also backed with fiberglass and/or wood for additional strength. If you chip the surface finish, you often see the backing materials and need to get it professionally repaired. Seamless invisible repairs are difficult.
-Veritek has no coating and is plastic mixed with fiberglass with the same color all the way through the material - similar to the solid surfaces. Chips and scratches can simply be sanded out.

The Onyx Collection is supposed to be the same color all the way through, but it does have a gel coat.

We will be selling the house in a couple of years, but I don't want a shower base that will look cheap. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The current drain looks like a 2" pipe. It measures 18 3/4" from bare studs on the valve wall to the center of the drain, and 18 3/4" from bare studs on the other corner wall. Square shower currently. (Dual threshold. Not an alcove shower with three walls.)

The only solid surface base that is dual threshold and low profile that I have found has the following dimensions. 17 1/2" from edge of base to center drain on the valve wall, and 23 7/8" to center drain on the other side. The drain is in concrete. The valve and shower head will be on the left side on the picture.

Have I missed anything? It looks like this base will not work unless the drain is moved, right?

Is there anything else I need to consider?
Attached Images

Last edited by Pyohe; 04-13-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Pyohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
Pyohe

Removed old shower base

ok, thank you. I have removed the old shower base and the two layers of paneling drywall. (1966 shower.)

I started a new thread since I found a shower base, but I am not sure it will work.

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d+surface+base
Unread 04-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Patti, please don't start new threads for your project. Keep all the questions here so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

It appears you meant for part of your post to be a quote of other material. If you'll visit our FAQ or the Liberry you'll find a brief tutorial on how best to post and properly attribute quotes here on the forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
I need to measure for a shower base. I know I need to subtract the wall material and the tile depth to account for that, but I don't know which wall surface to use. Is it Durock or cement board?
You're really gonna want to have your pre-made receptor in hand before you can determine with accuracy the final dimensions of everything. Yes, you'll need a rough frame size, but even that is likely gonna need to be adjusted to fit your selected receptor.

Durock is cement board. Usually referred to as CBUs (Cementitious Backer Units), there are many different ones out there. Durock is a good choice in my opinion.

The method you'll be using to set your tiles is called the thinset method and the material you'll use to bond the tiles is called thinset mortar. Many, many brands and types available. You'll want one that says it meets the requirements of ANSI A118.4 when mixed with water. The bonding mortar will add something in the neighborhood of an eighth of an inch thickness.

I would recommend you build your own shower receptor that perfectly fits your shower footprint and drain location, but if you want to use that particular pre-frabricated receptor we'll need to wait for someone who is familiar with it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #8
Pyohe

Thanks

Thank you, I will keep everything on one post. So thinset mortar is what attaches the tiles to the cement board. Durock is a name brand of cement board. I won't be able to build my own shower base, since I don't know how to fabricate solid surface materials.

Don't I need to measure to find a shower base that matches my drain? Should I choose any base and make it fit?

Is there a certain thickness of Durock I should use? I have heard of 1/2" and 3/4" drywall. I am not sure if cement board comes in different thicknesses.

My general contractor will install everything, but he is on another project. However, I need to order the base and have it here ready to be installed, and I don't want to order the wrong base.
Unread 04-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

You generally want to use a 1/2" CBU for wall installations over studs spaced no wider than 16" on center.

If you use a pre-fabricated shower receptor you will need to make the drain location fit the receptor.

You do not need to use a pre-fabricated receptor at all. You can build a tiled receptor to fit whatever shower footprint and drain location you have, but you generally want the drain as close to the center as possible.

If you're going to pay someone to build this shower, though, you should be talking to him to see how he does his showers. If he's a GC and uses a particular tile contractor, you'll want to talk with them both to determine what is the best approach to your application. You really don't want to be ordering material at all until you and your contractor(s) have decided exactly how your shower is to be constructed.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase