Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
leeanne

setting three dimensional found objects

i started a new job today and want to see if anyone has done something similar. I am "tiling" a four foot by 6.5 foot rectangle on the outside of a cinder block home. the cinder block was just pressure washed. i want to create a subtle cantilever beginning with small arrowheads at the bottom of the rectangle and working up to indian hammer stones about the size of a grapefruit at the top of the rectangle. this is the back wall of an outdoor shower, so there are two handles and a spigot that i will work around.

i have placed my composition on the ground so that each row supports the slightly bigger elements on the row above. do you think this can work? what considerations should i be thinking about in placement?
Attached Images

Last edited by leeanne; 10-13-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: i want to attach a picture
leeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think you can likely set the smaller pieces using good-quality thinset mortar, Leeanne, but when they start getting larger I think you might wanna look to an epoxy adhesive of some substance. Laticrete 310 would first spring to mind for me.

You are planning to grout this installation?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
leeanne

wow you are quick! yes i plan to grout. i was thinking about some sort of tool like a pastry chef's icing bag with a tip. are those available in the grouting world?
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yes, those are called grout bags.

Now that I see your picher there, I wonder just how much that'll help, though. That's not gonna be an easy thing to grout.

And since you've kept all your previously finished projects secret from us, I got no eye-dee what your grouting capabilities might be.

We like pichers.

Unread 10-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
leeanne

you got it! attaching pictures.
Attached Images

Unread 10-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
leeanne

another detail from a wall project.
Attached Images

Last edited by leeanne; 10-13-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: attaching picture
leeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Leeanne, I don't know to whom you meant to send the email I received and I didn't respond because you have elected not to receive email from forum members.

But it was not I with whom you spoke as referenced in your message. Perhaps you need to send another to whomever you really wanted to contact?

And I think the finished products you've posted would seem easy to grout compared to the one you are proposing to do. Especially on a vertical surface that's gonna be tedious, think I.

I know it's gonna be a bit large and heavy, but is there a way you might complete the piece, absent a few stones for attachment fasteners, and hang it as a unit? Much easier to fix the stones and waaaay easier to grout, I'm thinking?

Last edited by cx; 10-13-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase