Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #181
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I will add to this most excellent tutorial.

Schluter Systems specifies that holes in (shower) Kerdi be patched with 4X4 inch patches of Kerdi or Kerdi-band. USG specifies the same type of patch when using the Durock Shower System.

However, in my opinion it all depends on how far up the wall the holes are. Down near the floor I would insist on the patches. In the top 2/3 of the walls I would do it with a well placed dab of Kerdi-fix or another urethane product such as PL-100 (available at Home Depot and Lowes).

My reasoning is that water will run down the wall before it has a chance to penetrate the grout. And even if a small amount of moisture does penetrate the grout, it won't penetrate the caulked puncture. There is no head pressure.

Water seems to cling to walls more near the bottom of the shower. Do use the small patches there.

As always, I recommend that showers, no matter how they are constructed, be completely towel dried after use.

Thanks for this tutorial, Paul.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #182
Tim Mailloux

I am getting ready to caulk my tub & tile this evening and ran across this video on YouTube. Has anyone tried this method of spraying the silicone bead and surrounding wall / tub deck with foaming glass cleaner before smoothing out the bead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwmqkoz1tE
Unread 01-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #183
Steve in Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
As always, I recommend that showers, no matter how they are constructed, be completely towel dried after use.
Really? Ain't no way that's happening in my shower - my wife says "I consider it a tremendous victory that you squeegee sometimes."
Unread 10-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #184
bobby350z

I am glad I found this thread. Just a home owner who is trying some DIY to learn some basic stuff. I needed to fix the moldy caulk between my bathtub and the wall tiles. I took out old caulk, cleaned everything but the gap in some sides was 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I did find 3/8 backer rod but it was big for the gap. I cut in half length wise and stuck it in there. Not sure if this was a good move or not. Then taped and applied 100% silicone and smoothed with wet finger into denatured alcohol. First pass was good but then when I took the tape out there was bad ridge on the tub side. For some reason on the tile wall side, everything looked good. Tried to fix it by spraying more denatured alcohol like some youtube video said and it got worse quickly. A few bad words and I stopped.

Then I found this thread and read the whole thing. This is first place where someone said you can try putting more caulk on already set silicone. So that is what I did last night. At worst, I was going to take old messed up caulk anyways. And big thanks to Steve C. (hope I have the right name) who showed his soap solution method. It worked so much better IMHO. And I did additional caulk free hand. Once this tub is dried, I will try freehand on 2nd tub and see how it goes.
Unread 11-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #185
MyFakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve26 View Post
This should make it easy for all to use 100% silicone with out tapping the edges.....................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4x1g...eature=mh_lolz

i hope you'll like it
I just used this method for my new install and it worked wonderfully. Usually my caulking jobs are a struggle, this method made it look very pro. Thanks for the tip!
Unread 11-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #186
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
And big thanks to Steve C. (hope I have the right name) who showed his soap solution method. It worked so much better IMHO.
It was actually Stefan who made that great video. You're right, it works great for me too.
Unread 04-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #187
jerrylogansquare

Smile great minds think alike.

I've done a shower base caulk job in a very similar way with the tape!
great minds think alike
Unread 05-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #188
jcman001

Push or Pull Caulk Gun

I read about 3 pages of this thread, and also used the search tool, but I can't find any discussion on whether people push or pull their caulk gun.

I have read that the preferred way to do it is to push it. However, when I push, I always run into a slight obstacle, and that causes the gun to hang, and gush out excess caulk. By pulling the caulk gun, it never hangs up for me. I cut the tip at an angle, and glide along the heel of the cut.

Maybe it seems like a trivial subject, but I am wondering if most people are pushers or pullers.
Unread 05-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #189
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

There are benefits to both pushing and pulling. Most of the population pulls. Some of the neatest caulkers push. I do both methods depending on the situation and condition of surfaces that the tip of the caulk tube needs to glide over. You've already identified one of key difficulties in pushing.

In the end...
It's more important that you dispense the right amount of caulk onto the surfaces and do it neatly than which direction the nozzle is headed. No matter what, don't be in a rush.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #190
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Wow

As if today this thread has 112,613 views.

Pretty neat

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #191
jeff_free69

I've been through it a couple of times -
love the soapy water trick, but I'm still gonna use blue tape too!
Unread 11-23-2017, 04:29 AM   #192
B-master

i like to cut the tip at a ~45 degree angle and push the gun being held at a ~45 degree angle while watching the caulk slightly pile-up just enough in front of the tip so as not to start drifting off to the sides. the trailing edge of the tip acts like a smoothing tool. I tried masking tape, but it always creates a ridge when pulling it off.
Unread 11-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #193
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

The masking can leave a ridge. A good way to get rid of that is simply to go over it again with your smoothing tool (usually a finger). A little bit of alcohol on your finger will take the ridge right off assuming the silicone caulk isn't dry yet.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #194
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The ridges are a sign of too much caulk being applied also. Applying less, a good scraping / smoothing to remove the excess, peel tape, then smooth again.

After a while you get the feel for how little caulk is actually needed as to only need one smoothing.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #195
B-master

Just a trivial observation....but why are most of the caulking videos in YouTube from the UK? And what's with the term ''washing up liquid''? Too funny.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase