Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
fredm

dimensional stone on wood tread

We are finishing a multicolor 16 x 16 slate tile job of two floors at different levels connected by 7 carpeted stair treads. The stair treads will have to be raised because the build up of the tile is 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 above the original floor level. The build up is due in most part to reading this forum. (Thank you for the sound advise.)
The floor joists were sistered correctly using the deflection tool to well over L800. 1/2 inch exterior plywood was secured over the existing 3/4 subfloor per Ditra's specifications. Radiant wire was modified thinsetted over the subfloor, with Ditra installed on top of the wiring. The slate as then unmodified thinsetted , sealed, and grouted with the new Hydroment Urtethane Grout. Beatuiful and solid floor!

Now the question: We have 1-1/2 inch thick bullnosed slate treads. They of course are in themselves structuraly sound and the bottoms sawed flat. I have been advised to attach them to the wood treads in a couple different ways: use modified thinset or, use a construction adhesive like liquid nail, or an exterior paver adhesive, or just use a siliconized acrylic adhesive/caulking. Of course we will use the urethane grout as we did for the floor.

Any thoughts and/or concernes?

Thank you for this valuable forum.
fredm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I would definitely use thinset.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, fredm. We could guess, but how 'bout you put a first name in a permanent signature line for us to use.

I'd wanna know what sort of wood these stair treads are before I'd recommend anything. Are we talking dimension wood or plywood or other?

If the floors above and below the stairs are raised different amounts, and especially if those amounts are less than 1 1/2", you'll also need to consider the riser heights in your decision how to mount those stones on the treads.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

I agree with CX I've seen everything from a couple of 2x6's slammed in with duplex nails to LVL's used for stair treds...Wanna know what kind of material your dealing with. Also any 3cm material..like your slate treads will likely vary a bit..some may vary considerably..get one a 1/4" shy and another 1/4" strong back to back and a picky inspector might give you a hard time. I dunno what the acceptable variation is ( is it local code?) but my local building inspector had some tile installers tearing out stairs in my area a short time ago for excessive rise deviations.
CX help me out what are the tolerances.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

The tightest of the national codes still allows only 3/16" between the shortest and tallest rise on a stair, I think, Trask. And it's one of the things inspectors tend to be picky about. That and rail height and a baluster spacing.

Even when I'm working outside code compliance jurisdictions I always stay within code requirements on that on accounta it can come back to bite ya.

Stairs can be difficult, 'specially in remodel.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
fredm

Thanks for all the replies. The stair treads and risers are plywood. They will have to be "beefed up" and trued up. The place is 30 years old. It is interesting how they got away with such a cheesy stair structualy and dimensionaly. The slate treads laid on a flat surface end to end don't vary by more than 1/16. Of course with slate there is clefting. Modified thinset it is.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase