Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #1
Scott885.0

Tile comes loose please help

I have 4 rooms to tile. I have tiled 2. The problem is that a few tiles have come loose. Not real bad just on the edge of a piece here and there. The grout is cracking at that spot also mainly due to the tile movement. I used Acrylpro mastic to put the tiles down. It did say you could use it for concrete walls or floors. Has anyone else used this, is it bad should I stop and pray the floor doesn't come loose. If it is bad what should I use. Do I have to take the entire piece up that is loose or could I chisel out the grout and some how get some more mastic under the loose edge.
I need help please... Please tell me this mastic is going to hold. It has on 95% of the tiles so far for 4 weeks.

Scott
Scott885.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-26-2003, 07:51 PM   #2
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

"Mastic"???
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2003, 07:57 PM   #3
Scott885.0

what

That does not help
Unread 02-26-2003, 08:02 PM   #4
WilliamL

no matter what the bucket says,mastic is not for floors.hell,its not even good for walls if you ask most people on this site.
WilliamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2003, 08:04 PM   #5
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

C'mon Willum.")
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2003, 08:06 PM   #6
Scott885.0

mastic

I now understand that. But I have put down tile in 2 rooms. I am mainly wondering am I going to have problems in the future with the tiles that are firmly down. What should I use on the rest of my job. Help please....
Unread 02-26-2003, 08:14 PM   #7
WilliamL

First of all,tell us about the job,ie..cement floor,cbu,basement...to be honest,I will use mastic if its on a wall and not in a wet area(i know,I know)
WilliamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2003, 08:27 PM   #8
Scott885.0

mastic

Concrete floor. I leveled it. I put down the mastic placed the tile and waited 24 hours before grouting. after a week there were a few tiles loose on and the grout was clipping out at the loose area. Other tahn that the rest of the floor is down and seems solid. Do you think i will have problems down the road or should I of had problems if I am going to have any by now. Other than the loose ones. Also the loose ones have a hollow sound to them when you tap on them.
Unread 02-26-2003, 10:37 PM   #9
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Scott,

The others are correct. NO Mastic on floors. Even where mastic is acceptable ( not sure where that is...ahh backsplashes) it takes awhile to dry ; much longer than 24 hrs. Heck, if you applied it thick in places, it may never dry out. That's how they can sell it premixed in a bucket and leave it on the shelf for months on end.

As I stated in your other post, you are better off taking it all up and trying the salvage the tiles. Mastic is water soluble and will soften up ( if it's not already soft) in the presence of water. The mastic on the floor can be scraped up.

Start over and use a latex modified thinset. Custom Versabond is a favorite of mine. Laticrete and Mapei also make good latex modified thinsets

Chalk this one up to a learning experience and move on

Jason
Unread 02-27-2003, 06:36 AM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Scott,

I answered your email before I realized you were here. Leave the tiles alone. Lift the ones that are loose and put them back down with thin set instead of mastic. I won't guarantee that others won't come loose later, but don't go to the trouble of taking everything up at this point. You've done two of the smaller areas, and you can make repairs if and when needed.

I recommend you do a little test, though. Pry hard on the edges of the tiles. Don't be afraid of pulling on them. If they come up, then I recommend removing everything and starting over.

From this point forward use modified thin set -- Versa Bond from Home Depot.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase