Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
brianp

Felker Customer Service

Sorry, this is a bit off topic but I just need a place to vent a bit.

Based on the recommendation from this board I purchased a Felker FTS-150. It arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, when I began putting it together I discovered that the tray had broken away from the tray guide (see photo). Apparently somewhere in the shipping process, either at the factory/distribution center or in transport the saw was dropped. I wanted to get the entire saw replaced since I was concerned about possible misalignments in the frame that could result from being drop with such a force to break the tray (maybe I'm overly concerned about that?).

Unfortunately, Felker does not feel obligated to replace the saw and has placed all the responsibility on the trucking company and suggested that I make a claim through the trucking company. The trucking company indicated that this claim will take about 3-4 weeks to process (there goes my project schedule). I'm pretty disgusted and concerned about any future dealings w/ Felker once I get this saw fixed. I hope the saw actually performs better than their customer service. I think many companies these days don't appreciate how powerful a flexible, consumer-oriented customer service department can have on customer loyalty.

Several years back I had the exact problem w/ a $2000 Delta table saw that was delivered damaged. Delta solved this problem no questions asked - clearily a consumer-concerned company. I've been a loyal Delta user/buyer ever since - of course, making good tools helps too.

I'm sure (hope) there are many out there that have had very good dealings w/ Felker - unfortunately, my first experience (and last?) is not a pleasant one.

Oh well, thanks for letting me vent.
Attached Images

brianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-09-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

This is not good news for us, nor for Felker, Brian. Let's see can we help change the situation and your mind about Felker. Something wrong with this picture (pun fully intended).

From whom did you purchase the saw?

To whom did you speak at Felker?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
brianp

I purchased this through Tool Country USA (in WA). I didn't go through constructioncomplete since they were a bit more $$ (maybe I should have?). They (Tool Country) has been working this issue w/ Felker all day today. I have not contacted Felker directly, I've been letting Tool Country try to solve this for me since I would think they would have a greater pull w/ Felker.

Maybe I'll try calling Felker on Monday myself.
Unread 07-09-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Thought that might be the case. Seems that your problem at this point is with Tool Country rather than with Felker, which makes me feel a lot better. We don't know Tool Country and thus have no way to help you with them as we might with ConstructionComplete, but we can call Felker's attention to the problem.

I do feel that any criticism of Felker in this matter is a little premature, though. No way they could have controlled this situation from their end, and we have no way of knowing what Tool Country is really doing on your behalf. You would agree?

Unread 07-09-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
Unregistered

IMO it is hard to fault Felker. The damage is due to shipping not manufacturing. I am not even sure Felker has any legal standing to pursue this on your behalf with the trucking co. The place you bought the saw from might shoulder some responsibility. I'm sure you don't like to hear this but fair is fair.
Unread 07-09-2004, 07:53 PM   #6
brianp

Just out of curiousity what would constructioncomplete do in this this situation? Would they replace the saw with a new one and deal w/ the trucking company w/o my involvment? As you say should I re-direct my disgust towards Tool Country USA for not jumping in here and dealing w/ the trucking company so that I don't have to be involved?
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:33 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Brian,

Let me just give my opinion here. You bought a product from Tool Company. They have your money. It's their problem, period. You have no bone to pick with Felker or with the trucking company.

If we sell you a product, i.e., take your money, we guarantee you will recieve the product in good working order. If we have problems with our supplier or with our shipper, they are our problems.

Had you purchased the saw from Construction Complete, we would intercede on your behalf, and Construction Complete has an unblemished record with us of getting problems ironed out quickly.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #8
brianp

Thanks, John, All,

I now agree that I need to take this up with Tool Country and not Felker or the trucking company. I signed a "contract" w/ TC to deliver me a working product and they should be responsible for making that happen.
Unread 07-09-2004, 09:52 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sounds like the logical approach to moi, Brian.

Unread 07-09-2004, 09:53 PM   #10
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Brian,this may not help at the moment,but i swear to you when you get things ironed out you are just going to love that saw to no end.

Delta makes great products and i would never hesitate to reccomend them for woodworkers etc.
Felker is to tile everything you feel Delta is to the cabinetman and carpenter.
And in my experiance and the experiance of the entire staff here,and i believe all those customers who have purchased based on staff reccomendations since i have been involved with this great group(customers by the way who number far beyond my ability to calculate),Felkers Customer Service is second to none,And I mean None!!!

Much of this praise is due in no small part to standards of excellance by a staff that believe only the best is good enough,one of these individuals(Andy Lundberg) hangs his hat in here on occassion giving time and attention to questions about not only felker saws but other saws and cutting and profiling in general.

Yep, a few saws have made it out the doors in no small part due to reccomendations here and while i am sorry for your difficulty and delay,i applaud your good sense for choosing to invest in quality rather than simply purchase a tool.
I may even be guilty of swaying a few of the folks around here into a felker investment

Good luck to you Brian and please let us know how things turn out for you.Perhaps if Andy see's this post he may have a suggestion or 2 that may be beneficial.
Unread 07-09-2004, 10:30 PM   #11
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Brian, I don't know if it's the website you went thru, or what, but just about a year ago, I had the same kind of problem with a Target Super-tilematic (same company-- Felker and Target are one in the same now) that I bought thru tiletools.net . The motor on the saw had a small dent in it, and the tray had been bent enough that there was a 1/2" difference in the distance between the tray rails from one end to the other. I called, and was originally told that they would investigate it with the trucking company, and they would get back to me in about two weeks, which was completely unacceptable, due to the fact that I NEEDED it for the job that I had it shipped to. Anyway, to cut to the chase, with no other communication, 2 days later, I had a SECOND brand new saw on site.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #12
brianp

Todd,

What I've learned over the years of buying woodworking equipment is never to cut corners on the tool - always buy the best or you're wasting money in the long run. And based on your recommendation and others on this board I thought I was buying the best medium-duty saw. Once I get this solved, I believe I will agree with you.

I'm going to call my credit card company to see about putting additional pressure on TC USA to solve my problem.
Unread 07-12-2004, 07:36 AM   #13
peeeto

Send a message via AIM to peeeto Send a message via Yahoo to peeeto
let us know how it's finally resolved, ok?
peeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 02:45 PM   #14
statjunk

I wanted to jump in here and say that I had two issues with my saw when I purchased it and Felker took care of them both. Even though on the second one they didn't even have to.

Felker has great customer service.

Tom
statjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #15
dbrown

I also had a blade issue on my 150. Once Andy directed me to call construction complete, problem was taken care of. Awsome saw and customer service
dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase