Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
djproch

Shower Pan construction w/ Durock drain

Can anyone give me some pointers to using the former durock drain and waterproofing system with a traditional mud pan?

Currently I have 6" of drain pipe extending up from my 3/4" T&G subfloor, and I'm planning on putting a layer of plastic sheeting or felt paper and metal lathe on top of the plywood and then putting in a traditional mud pan that will slope from 1.75" at the perimeter down to 1.25" at the drain location to achieve a 1/4" slope. To this, I will add the durock shower drain and then top everything with their waterproofing membrane. What would be the best method for installing this drain w/ a mud pan? I have tried searching the internet for the recommended procedure but can't seem to find anywhere that shows me the installation w/o the foam base. I'm guessing that I should somehow measure and cut the drain pipe accurately enough to ensure my drain will sit 1.25" above the subfloor and glue this in place; I would then pack the mud underneath the drain flange and proceed with sloping the rest of the mud to the correct pitch at the edges of the shower.

Last edited by djproch; 03-02-2020 at 08:46 AM.
djproch is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Our pal Sal Diblasi has an excellent video for you.

Granted its one of his older ones where he doesn't talk your ear off, but its still good.

I'm guessing that I should somehow measure and cut the drain pipe accurately enough to ensure my drain will sit 1.25" above the subfloor and glue this in place; I would then pack the mud underneath the drain flange and proceed with sloping the rest of the mud to the correct pitch at the edges of the shower.

You are correct

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
djproch

Thanks, I've watched that video a few times already. Guess I should have realized the two systems are basically identical other than the shape of the drain.
Unread 03-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
john619

You want 1/4" per foot for drainage, not a total of 1/4".
Just making sure because that is how I read your thread
Unread 03-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
...putting in a traditional mud pan that will slope from 1.75" at the perimeter down to 1.25" at the drain location to achieve a 1/4" slope.
A drop of only half an inch measured to the far corner from a center drain would indicate an exceptionally small shower footprint, seems to me, Dave. Almost too small to meet code in some jurisdictions. You sure that's what you've got?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 03-02-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
djproch

My shower is basically 46" x 44" with the drain centered, so it is fairly small; I'm pretty sure I did the math correctly.

Edit: Actually looks like I'm a little under 1/4" per foot. I would have to come up ~11/16" from the center of the drain to a height of 1 15/16 (call it 2") not the 1.75" that I said.

Last edited by djproch; 03-02-2020 at 01:56 PM.
djproch is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
john619

Also keep in mind that the 1/4" per foot of fall is a code minimum.
You may want to have a bit more
Unread 03-02-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

That's a decent size shower, Dave.

Keeping in mind that the 1/4-inch per foot slope is the minimium requirement, Dave, I think you're a little short. Half your diagonal measurement would be 2.65 feet by my calculations, which would require drop of a little more than 5/8ths of an inch to meet the absolute minimum. I'd round that off to at least 3/4-inch to be sure I had at least my required slope and in real life I'd make it a tad bit more.

I didn't see John's post in there and I agree with him.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 03-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
djproch

Thanks, I'll bump it up to a 3/4" drop from edge to center. In actuality, how noticable would that slope be to a person standing on the floor? I had an old vinyl pan that I ripped out and I would bet money it didn't have that kind of slope to it.
Unread 03-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Your old vinyl pan did not have that same requirement, Steve. Different for pre-manufactured receptor and site-built tiled receptors.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 03-03-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
djproch

Thanks for the advice. Next question, I'm sure I've read this here before but want to make sure that I won't have an issue with embedding the Durock CBU in to the mud pan assuming I am applying the Durock waterproofing membrane on top of everything before tiling?
Unread 03-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Nope, if you're using the Durock membrane on the walls and floor there's no problem embedding the CBU into the mud bed.

Of course, since you're not using a traditional pan liner system there's no reason you have to embed the CBU into the mud bed, since you'll be able to screw the CBU to the studs as low as ya wanna.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2020, 08:37 AM   #13
Kman

Durock is one cbu that you can bury in the mud. The only one we know of that can't be buried is Hardibacker.

But as long as you're covering it with waterproofing it wouldn't matter anyway.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase