Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 12-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Frank Woeste

“Pre-Existing Conditions” can Impact Your Work!

I was lucky to team up with Peter Nielsen this year to publish an article on “substrate design and constructions” that can lead to the occurrence of an unusual or puzzling in-service outcome for a tile or stone installation. Three aspects of floor framing design likely to impact the performance of ceramic tile and stone installations in-service are:

1. The use of an adequate design dead load that includes the weight of the hard-surface installation method,

2. The relative importance of joist stiffness and sheathing stiffness in preventing cracks, and

3. Accounting for substantial concentrated loads, such as the weight of kitchen islands with stone or polished concrete surfaces.

We invite you to review our article with respect to 1, 2, and 3 above and share your thoughts on this forum:
https://componentadvertiser.com/Port...ood%201806.pdf
Frank Woeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
speed51133

seems pretty obvious. the thing is tile setter's opinions to truss / joist design and layout are probably the last thing to be considered when designing a home, especially one with "open concept" as a requirement in the main living area and a finished area below it where multiple posts and walls are not desired.

I went through this when designing my home.....
Unread 12-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Frank.

I'll move your thread to the Hangout, the forum more appropriate to your type of discussion. I expect the site owners will want to incorporate your new article into their Liberry for future reference for our visitors.

Unfortunately, here you'll mostly be preaching to the choir. The tile installation people you'll find here are not the "design professionals" you're addressing in your article, and said design professionals apparently don't always have the tile installation professional in mind when doing their designing.

We do hope you're getting through to the folks who are making those design decisions, though.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Frank Woeste

CX:

"Unfortunately, here you'll mostly be preaching to the choir."

I understand; however, while not stated in the original post, my objective is to encourage tile contractors (and the tile industry such as NTCA) to help educate "design professionals" on the subject as their natural interests are "code" and "competitive designs", not likely the in-service reliability of a hard surface contractor's work 2-5 years in-service.

Along your lines of thought, this article should revised and published in a structural engineering on-line magazine, mid 2019.

Frank
Unread 12-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Frank,

I've taken CX's advice and posted the article to our Reference Liberry forum.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Cant tell you how many times I have walked away from jobs due to poor structure for tile or stone material. Always love the 10' granite island in the middle of a 14' span on TJI's with no support underneath.
My favorite is the change from hardwood to 3/4" Travertine after the fact and the designer wanting it to match up to the other hardwood floor areas.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I never installed a job without knowing the structure. That said, in my area I heard all the time why do you want to go in the basement, nobody else did.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Dave
Same story!!

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

hahahaha

I've gotten more than a few jobs after 'going into the basement'. Was later told I was the only on that did that.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase