Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #106
Kman

Really all the bracket is doing is holding the pipe against the wall. It doesn't get enough stress on it to amount to anything.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #107
makethatkerdistick

I'll have to let this one go. Just got so mad looking at the job I paid for when I didn't know better.

Yes, the drywall screws are good enough. Just not something I'd use if I charged a customer $700. They are 1 1/2 inches and pierce through a utility cabinet with a 3/4 in plywood casing. I found out the hard way a long time ago, sticking my fingers in there to get the broom out, scratching my fingers against the screw tips.

And no, those corrosion marks were clearly inside and around the fittings only (on the inside). They weren't really deep or anything. Just your typical sloppy installation. To my knowledge, there are no corrosiveness issues with our municipal water. They also add orthophosphate to the water to inhibit corrosion. You can tell from the uniform thin mineral layer that this forms inside the pipe over time, inhibiting corrosion.

The lack of deburring is just inexcusable. It is required by code on copper pipe installations (or so I've gathered, but I am not a professional).

It's all good now. I am just sad to see that this guy didn't take more pride in his work. You can't enforce a clean and workmanship-like installation but it's still the desirable standard, isn't it?
Unread 03-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #108
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
They are 1 1/2 inches and pierce through a utility cabinet with a 3/4 in plywood casing.
That part I would find unacceptable.
Quote:
The lack of deburring is just inexcusable.
I honestly don't know if that's code or not, Wolfgang, but it certainly falls under best practice. Kinda instinctive, I would think, but for sure something a fella would learn early on if he'd ever worked with a real plumber. And now you got me wondering whether a fella can even deburr that Type M stuff without deforming it. Haven't even see a stick of that thinwalled pipe for years.
Quote:
I am just sad to see that this guy didn't take more pride in his work.
Can't argue at all with that part. Just doesn't appear to be a whole hellofalot of that going around in any of the building trades these days. And I, too, find that sad. I doubt you can even find a tradesman under 50 who would even recognize the phrase, workman-like manner.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 03-24-2020 at 08:55 PM.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 09:58 PM   #109
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I doubt you can even find a tradesman under 50 who would even recognize the phrase, workman-like manner.
I bet you could find one or two on this here forum from time to time.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #110
makethatkerdistick

2018 UPC 605.1.4 lists reaming as one of the required steps for soldered copper joints.

My plumber at the time was in his fifties. He was probably just too lazy to ream. He's not allowed to enter my residence ever again.
Unread 03-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #111
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I bet you could find one or two on this here forum from time to time.
Yeah, well, I've always thought the members of this website were special, Kevin, even some of youins young kids.
Quote:
My plumber at the time was in his fifties. He was probably just too lazy to ream.
Yeah, Wolfgang, that make it even more sad, I suppose.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase