Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #46
Husky546

Somthing like this is what I originally planned on before I started talking to people.
Attached Images

Unread 03-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #47
smifwal

Looking at your first pic, are you planning on a bench, or am I looking at it wrong?
Unread 03-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #48
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nick, if you're confident you don't have a moisture problem in that below grade concrete, there's no reason what you plan won't work. The problems are more likely to occur when you use a direct bonded waterproofing membrane and it's sealed over the curb and out onto the concrete. In your case, so long as you're careful not to penetrate the waterproof liner and your slab has no moisture vapor emission or hydrostatic moisture problems, you should be OK with what you have.

For your geographic location information, click on the "User CP" near the upper left of the page, on the left is "Edit Your Details," scroll down to "Where you live."

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #49
Husky546

You are correct I am framed up for a bench.

CX could you give me an example (product link or picture) to what your talking about regarding a direct bonded membrane? I just want to make sure we are on the same page. As far as moisture I have never had an issue snow melt heavy rain floods etc. I have also taped plastic on the floor and left it for weeks and never come up with moisture under the plastic. I actually had to dig under the concrete when I reset a drain and had 6-8 inches of totally dry sand before it got moist. Did eventually find some water 10-12 inches underneath which is well below my drain tile but nothing near the slab.

I’m assuming they caution wood on a curb in a basement due to vapor transfer through concrete more than coming through from the top right? I would think I’d you have water leaking through your liner you would have other issues to contend with also. I think most builds I have seen on an above ground (non slab) build typically use wood.
Unread 03-22-2020, 05:35 PM   #50
cx
Moderator emeritus

Direct bonded waterproofing membranes (ANSI A118.10) are designed specifically to have ceramic tile bonded directly to them. In the sheet type, my current favorite is the USG Shower System Membrane and the one most discussed on these forums is Schluter's Kerdi. There are many others.

In the liquid-applied membranes (none of which I'd personally use to create a shower receptor), most every manufacturer of tile setting products makes at least one. Google up RedGard, Aquadefense, Hydroban, etc.

They work differently from the traditional methods, and they have advantages and disadvantages.

Your assumption would be correct in my view.

Unread 03-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #51
Husky546

Got it. I looked into Kerdi but didn’t go with it. I do plan on using some sort of hydro ban, RedGuard etc on the walls at some point (open to suggestions).

In another note does anyone have experience with the Kirb perfect system? As some of you recall I bought one of those goof proof pitch systems and was guided away from using it.

With that being said it came with their curb form as well. It seems like a good concept in theory but I’d like to hear from someone who has worked with it or is at least familiar. If it’s junk I’ll toss it.
Unread 03-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #52
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've never installed one of the Kirb Perfect kits, Nick, but I still have one in the back of the shop that the company sent me when they were wanting to advertise on the site. I told them I couldn't recommend their products, but they advertised for a while anyway.

I just don't like the concept of putting big plastic dividers in mud that's to be tiled over. That curb thing might work, but I wouldn't use one. May be a little faster than bending some metal lath over the curb and mudding it, but I don't think it's worth taking a chance on.

Their Goof Proof shower system is not even faster than doing the floor without it, aside from its other problems.

Entirely up to you, of course.

Unread 03-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #53
smifwal

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't use a liquid membrane on a bench, I am not saying they don't work, I just feel more comfortable with the USG membrane that CX mentioned to water proof my showers. And for the pan I do 1 mud bed and do exactly what CX told you not to do. (CX I may have read that wrong so don't kill me if I did)
Unread 03-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #54
Husky546

I was kinda leaning towards the lath.

As far as the liquid membrane is just thinking for the walls I still done know what inn gunna do about the bench. Could use some guidance in that also. Bench is going to be a granite slab for what it’s worth
Unread 03-23-2020, 04:07 AM   #55
Husky546

As long as we are on the topic of pan liners ill go down this rabbit hole..... I was down working on this again today and realized i dont have a solid plan for my bench in regards to it being another horizontal surface and waterproofing
it. I have seen posts where the pan liner is run up over the bench itself but i cant see how you would secure your backerboard on top of this without puncturing the liner. And in that case the purpose of your liner gets defeated.

I could also use a liquid membrane on top of my durock but i have never used it before and i dont know the capacity of this stuff to work in this situation

In a perfect world where i had more cash i would just use kerdi and be done with it but im stuck with regular old durock.

For what its worth i built a pitch into my bench for drainage and the top of the bench is going to be granite. Im assuming there is a way to make this work and people did it long before products like kerdi where a regular thing.

Regardless for those of you who have come across this situation before i would love a little knowledge on best practice

Last edited by Husky546; 03-23-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Husky546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #56
Husky546

Setting granite

I wasn’t sure if this should be attached to my other posting or not. If it should be I apologize I’m still figuring out the site.

In terms of setting granite in this case for a shower bench how does this differ from setting tile? I’m going to be at the point of the bench going in soon and I realized I know nothing about how to set it. What mud should I use, how thick should it be, what to seal it with when done, or even how to waterproof it prior to going in.

Or is granite something I should just hire out?
Unread 03-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #57
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Not all that different than setting tile. I'd probably use modified thinset, 1/4 x 1/4 depending on substrate. If it's handy, I'll sometimes rough up back, but that's more on Quartz than granite. Make sure to wipe off back with sponge.

I get the pieces cut and polished by someone else, then install myself. Sometimes need to scribe a bit with diamond grit disc in grinder to get good fit.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #58
Husky546

Is it also acceptable to use on a curb top instead of tile?
Unread 03-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #59
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Yes, all sloped towards drain.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #60
Husky546

Awesome already got the slope built into everything. Is there a best practice for waterproofing? In this case it’s just plain old cement board

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase