Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #16
tampagirl

First off, a HUGE thank you to all of you for taking the time to discuss.
I do not have a before picture unfortunately. It was a bathtub with tiles to the molding on the top. The walls were removed to the studs and hardie board was placed for the new tiles. He had a different plumber install the rubber pan and move the drains. No water testing was done. How would I go about doing that now? Sadly my issues are no longer just not liking the color. Also very unfortunately, I was on a budget for this renovation and I am not sure how much all of the repairs needed are going to be or what my time frame for that will be. That being said, I do not want to wind up with large issues down the road for not having gotten this all corrected.
An additional concern is that he was less than thrilled to hear that I was unhappy with the flooring, questioning the integrity of the shower floor and an additional issue with the drain pipe hanging a tiny bit below the sheetrock line on the ceiling story below (the bathroom is on 2nd story and they went in through the laundry room ceiling which is directly below) when it was moved ( that's a whole other cringe worthy story) so I am truly concerned that having him do anything further will be worse. I do not want him intentionally damaging other items in spite.
Unread 02-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #17
speed51133

or liner penetrations at/below the curb...
Unread 02-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #18
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

HOLY SMOKES. Run Forrest,Run! If he thought the first install was acceptable and was insulted, no way I'd let him try again.
Unread 02-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #19
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sunshine, ask him what kind of moisture barrier was used on the walls.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #20
tampagirl

Shower floor redo

Can someone please give me a ballpark range of what it should cost to remove shower floor tile and the mud beneath down to the rubber pan and redo? The person who did my install has messed it up twice now and I am not allowing him to do so a third time. He is telling me this will cost no more than 500.00 which I think it very unrealistic but I really don’t know. Thank you in advance.
Unread 03-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sunshine, I've combined you again with your original thread on this project. Please keep all your project questions here.

It would help if you'd put a geographic location into your User Profile to aid in answering some types of questions. No, we don't wanna try to guess from your screen name.

Without knowing how your shower was constructed it's even more difficult than the usual guessing at what it might cost to replace your shower floor. Do you actually know how the shower receptor was constructed? If it has a traditional receptor, are you sure it has a proper pre-slope under the waterproof liner (which is almost certainly not rubber, by the way)?

Hate to see you replace the shower floor tile only to find you have more serious problems with the basics of the shower construction.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #22
tampagirl

It was cement and then a pan and then the cement mud again. So no, I don’t know that the cement under the pan was sloped correctly.... I am located in Tampa, Florida.
Unread 03-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
It would help if you'd put a geographic location into your User Profile to aid in answering some types of questions.
If you don't put that in your Profile the information will be lost before we leave this page, Sunshine.

If you can determine that the shower receptor liner is properly sloped, you may well be able to carefully remove the existing shower floor and re-do only that portion. If you can gain access to the shower floor from outside, such as throug the drywall in an adjacent closet or similar, you may be able to determine if there is a proper pre-slope.

Getting someone competent who is willing to come in to do nothing but the shower floor replacement may be a bit difficult, though. Not a very big job, but a substantial liability.

Have you considered just doing it yourself?

Unread 03-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #24
tampagirl

I have added the location in my profile. Is it not showing up? I can see it.

The shower is located on the second story. The wall where the shower head etc is has a toilet on the other side. The long wall is adjacent to a closet as is the other wall. If I cut a hole in the wall how would I know by looking at it if it was sloped correctly? I’ve never done this before and I’m not at all educated on it.

The shaded areas are the areas where the water is pooling.
Attached Images

Unread 03-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #25
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Yes we can see the location, thanks!

I see the wet area; those penny tile floor are prone to holding water, how much is sitting there? Is it just it just in the grout lines or over the tile surface?
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #26
Kman

I doubt that you'll be able to see the sloped bed of mud under the liner, if there is one. The only way you could see it is if the bed at the perimeter is taller than 1 1/2", which is unlikely.

Probably the only way to tell for sure is to remove the existing tile and then carefully bust out the mud underneath, without puncturing the liner. Then check the liner itself for slope.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

Didn't realize this was still another problem shower floor, Sunshine, but I think it probably best to leave it on this thread so folks can see what you're up against here. I can separate it if you want.

Yes, your location in now in your Profile.

If you had access to the shower floor from the opposite side you can sometimes see the pre-slope perimeter height from there. But frequently if proper blocking for the receptor liner is in place, you can't see it there, either. In this case I wouldn't do any destructive examination through another wall.

The most important consideration is just knowing for sure if you have a traditional receptor construction. If you do, it's at least safe to carefully remove the tile floor and top mortar bed without functionally damaging the receptor. You'll then be able to determine whether you have a pre-slope and whether you really need more than just a floor tile replacement.

Unread 03-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #28
tampagirl

Pc7060 it’s in the grout line and on the tile unfortunately. There are also a few other smaller spots with the same issue.
Unread 03-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #29
tampagirl

Cx- yes, I had him remove the first disaster and he begged for a second chance to make it right. This is the second floor I have paid for. And now he wants a third chance and I said absolutely NOT.
Unread 03-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #30
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX, Post 23
Have you considered just doing it yourself?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase