Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #31
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

You guys have me a little nervous now with the post tension thing. It turns out the slab is in fact PT. Are the cables always shallow or is that hit and miss?

Yes, there's a cultured marble shower with a standard centered drain there right now.

Seeing how Paul and Brian have made this happen, I'm thinking this SHOULD be doable in my situation somehow as well.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

In residential construction especially, Brad, the cables will be wherever you find them. There is a slab design showing the desired placement, but it's actually done by crews with no real knowledge of the concept in most cases.

If you can't cut your concrete between, and parallel to, two known cables, I'd recommend you not be cutting your concrete.

But that's entirely up to you, of course.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #33
Pfeffer

I would very strongly suggest NOT cutting into that slab at all. Cutting through PT cables is extremely dangerous, and it will also weaken the structural integrity of the slab itself. (depends somewhat if it's bonded or unbonded cables). That danger can vary with the size of and tension on the cables. In the commercial world (I work for a GC), we NEVER cut through a PT slab without x-raying the slab to determine exact location. It's a big deal.

Even if you can determine that the cables are 'deep' enough, I still wouldn't do it. You could weaken the concrete to the point that the cables bust through, it could cause cracking in the slab later on after you're finished...it just opens up a lot of variables.

I'd steer clear unless you're x-raying the slab and know you won't come anywhere close to one...which is probably unlikely.
Unread 11-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #34
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

Well, you guys successfully scared me out of this. After talking it over some more with my buddy, we decided there's just not an acceptable way to do this given the cards we've been dealt. Either live with what you got, folks, or build a new, truly barrier free house.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase