Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
timiny

Yet another tumbled marble backsplash question!

I just found this board today and really wish I had found it sooner as the project is already started.

I am installing 3 x 6 tumbled marble tiles and plan to use a color enhancing sealer (Aquamix Enrich n Seal) on them. I have experimented with a few pieces and I really don't like what the enhancing sealer does to the grout but love what it does to the tile. It darkens the grout up way too much and really accentuates where the grout gets in the pits of the tile. Can I but the enhancing sealer on prior to grouting and then use a non enhancing sealer after grouting?

Thx!
timiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
LEXX

Yes, or you might want to try a lighter grout that the enhancer can bring out in your tiles.

John 10:18
"No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down on My own. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to take it up again."
Jesus
LEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

If you like the look of the marble enhanced follow the directions on the bottle for cure
time and enhance your marble before you grout.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
timiny

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
timiny

Okay, got one wall tiled, grouted and sealed and I am very happy with the results. I'll wait to caulk it till the other walls are done. The backsplash area actually is made up of 3 walls, one being a small 18 * 42 inch area on its own. That is the one I used as my "test" wall. If I didn't like it, less to tear out and start over!

Now I need to proceed to the longer walls which includes the one above the cooktop. I am doing a running bond pattern with 3 x 6 tumbled travertine. Over the cooktop, I want to frame a rectangle and fill it in with 4 x 4's on the diagonal. The frame peices I was thinking about using are rather heavy (2 x 12 chair rail) and I have never hung tile on the diagonal. Any tips out there on the best method for putting this section on the wall?

Oh, another question, the wall I already did is backed with new drywall and I used versabond to adhere the tiles. A friend was telling me all I needed to do was use a construction adhesive like liquid nails since this area was not subject to alot of moisture. Seems wrong to me, can some confirm or deny please.

Thx again!
Carolyn
Old 10-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
bbcamp

Liquid nails is not a good product for any tile work, and absolutly bad for natural stone. Some of the oils in the adhesive can stain your stone. Stick with what you're doing, you're on the right track!
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:02 AM   #7
timiny

progress update

Thought I would post a quick update w/pics since everyone loves pics!

Here is the section I finished a couple weeks ago. I'm not very fast and didn't get back to work until yesterday. I really like how the enhancer brought out the colors in the stone.

I started doing the area above the cooktop. I followed the directions for cutting diagonal tile in the Library and they were spot on. I had it all cut and layed out on the table before i started putting it on the wall. I have never done a diagonal layout on a wall before andI can say this, now I know why tile setters charge so much! Next time, I using tile wedges or spikes. I live in no wheres ville and couldn't find them in stock around here so I went with the spacers. Very hard to use spacers on tumbled marble laid diagonally! The first row of halfs and fulls were very frustrating to get lined up correctly. Adjusting one tile caused another one to slide or the spacers to fall out so after I finally got it how I liked it, I let it dry a couple hours before proceeding (besides, I needed a sanity break!)

I found that as I went up, the rows wanted to slide down diagonally, dang gravity. I grabbed some scrap shoe molding and brad nailed it for support. That was enough for this DIYer for one day! I'll work on it some more tomorrow. I need to lay all the field tiles in the running bond pattern and put the chair rail/ frame molding around the diagonals.

Last edited by timiny; 10-22-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
timiny

question

After I got all the diagonal tiles on the wall, my daughter asked me a question. "Mom, how are you going to keep the grout out of your fancy center tile?"

Dang it, I hadn't thought of that . I guess my options are to

1. tape it off really well
2. go ahead and fill the low areas with grout, but some of the spaces are rather wide and i'm worried about shrinkage and cracking.....

Any other ideas?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Carolyn, The work looks great.

Mask off the center tile. Use blue masking tape.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:59 AM   #10
timiny

Finally finished

Well, work took me out of town so I finally got back to the backsplash and finished. John, the tape worked perfect! Thank you.

I can't say enough thanks for how helpful people are here!

Carolyn
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
ditty

What type of tumbled marble is this? It looks really nice. I thought at first it was noce but it looks a little bit lighter and more colorful. Thx.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase