Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-24-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
morganbj

Wall Tile Concerns

Hello, my name is Morgan and I live in the Orlando, FL area. I have been perusing this site for almost a year now gathering useful information and thank you to all the helpful professionals who provide advice.

I am updating a 'guest' bathroom (apprximately 5' wide by 8' long) with a 3-wall alcove tub. The floor is concrete foundation and I have put up Durock in the wet areas and 'green/purple' board in the dry areas. I have already tiled the floor with a 'hopscotch' pattern using 6x6 and 12x12 tiles and a 1/4" grout line. I used the Daltile goldrush tiles wich should be suitable for floors and walls in wet areas. The floor was installed using Mapei Ultraflex 2.

Right now this bathroom is only a guest bathroom and might see a real shower only a handfull of times a year. If we decide to have children though it could see daily showers in the next 10 years.

We want to extend the mix of 6x6 and 12x12 up the dry walls and into the tub surround area. After talking to some people at L/HD I was told to abosultely not use 12x12 on the wall in the tub surround because the tile was too heavy and the 1/4" grout lines would cause problems. I was told I would have to reseal the grout every 4 to 6 months if I went against their advice.

Hopefully I have given enough details and I don't trust the people at L/HD so following is the questions:

For the dry wall installtion:
1) Is the Ultraflex 2 suitable for the 12x12 on 'greenboard'? (I am using a 1/4" x 3/8" trowel)

For the wet wall installtion:
2) I was thinking of using the roll-on redgard after taping (nylon mesh) and finishing the seams with mortar, is this appropriate?
3) What type of mortar should I use in the wet area (I was told to use Kerabond/Keralastic combination - quite pricey - but not a problem if it is worth it)?
4) Maybe a dumb question but - my limited knowledge tells me that a waterproofing membrane is for porous material so by applying the membrane you make the material non-porous. Mortar relies on the porous-ness of the two materials to create a secure bond. By waterproofing the CBU do you not decrease the bond strength between the CBU and the tile?

Grout questions:
5) Do the products like Laticrete's Spectralock and Mapei's Kerapoxy add extra insurance in a wet environment? Do they really do what they say (i.e. no sealing required)?

Finally for piece of mind:
6) Why do most tub surrounds/shower areas have an 8-10" drop ceiling? Is this to save material costs (tile, backerboard, etc.) or is this code?

Thank you for your help,
Morgan
morganbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Hi morgan ill do my best to help you out here....

1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 Modern waterproofing membranes have been designed to bond with
the thinset products we use, more so the acryllic modified thinsets than
the unmodified thinsets. Your UF2 will more than suffice.
5 Personally i prefer cement based grouts over epoxies due to the ease of installation of regular grout. epoxies are stain proof, water proof and also
more difficult to work with as well as more dangerous.
6 This must be a local thing, im in california and its not a typical thing
to see a drop down lid.... sure sometimes but definitely not code.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
morganbj

Hamilton,

Thank you for the advice and information.

Are you saying I should use the Kerabond/Keralastic on the wet wall or is the Ultraflex 2 sufficient?
morganbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
sandbagger

Quote:
After talking to some people at L/HD I was told to abosultely not use 12x12 on the wall in the tub surround because the tile was too heavy and the 1/4" grout lines would cause problems. I was told I would have to reseal the grout every 4 to 6 months if I went against their advice.

Hi, Morgan - well, you've reached a critical juncture of your project planning. Are you gonna trust Homer/Big Blue or TYW pros? I'm afraid it's gonna be hard to do both, and crazy statements like this are a perfect example of why - none of those statements are correct!

- lot's of us use large tiles - mine are 14x14
- most of us prefer narrower grout lines, but it's based on aesthetics
- reseal after 4-6 months? only if your business is selling sealers!

but moving on:
Quote:
Why do most tub surrounds/shower areas have an 8-10" drop ceiling?
you mean 'most' of the ones you've seen? The ones I've seen were in homes built in a similar time from. The last one we had was a late-50s ranch in Michigan and it had the drop. Just a styling fad from what I gathered - couldn't have been cheaper. Since moving to AZ I don't think I've seen one yet.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

nothing wrong with a 12x12 on shower walls i have done a slew of them, no problems.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

crap what a bout the 18x18 porcelain tiles i used on several clients house wonder if i should remove them in place of 4x4 white home creepo special.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase