Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-14-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Steve F

Tile concerns

We bought this tile to go around our bathtub/shower surround, but now we have some concerns. The ceiling is not straight and is off by 3/4" along the back wall. I don't think this difference would be noticeable with a plain tile, but since this tile has a square pattern I think it may look off. Also, how do you think this tile will look when it is cut through the middle of the pattern? Finally, I am worried that grouting will be a real pain. We are considering returning these tiles. What do you think?
Attached Images

Steve F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Steve,
Does the manufacturer produce the same tile without the pattern embossed into it? If so, you could use these to border the ceiling and obfuscate the imperfections while retaining color, size and finish?
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Steve F

I like the idea of using plain tiles (if available) to border the ceiling. My layout dictates that I will have to cut though the pattern on these tiles in other locations - ie. in the corner between the two bathtub walls. How do you think these tiles will look when cut though the middle. Would they be better as accent pieces?
Steve F is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Steve,
You might be able to wrap the pattern around the corner if the outside dimension allows enough space? If it's an 8" wide tile and your tub-back is 60" then your corner cuts should be close to 4". This would give you a *rough* return of roughly 4 1/4" to continue the pattern. With a standard 30" deep tub this should also bring your pattern out to nearly the edge of the tub where you can finish the tile with a 2" or 3" wide surface bullnose down the front of the tub face. If this dimension doesn't work exactly, you can adjust the corner return by adding or subtracting from it to give you a better termination line. Luckily the embossing is a simple rectangle and doesn't have a complex pattern which might need to be repeated or matched at the corner.
How's that work for you?
Shaughnn

Last edited by Shaughnn; 04-15-2006 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Changed my lay-out math Whoops!
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Lex-dystic

3/4" difference seems a lot to me in a 5 foot run. Must be an old house with lots of settling, or built with a guy using a curved level That is going to be hard to hide. I think the matching non-embossed tile is the best choice. If not available, then can you end the tile before it hits the ceiling and paint above in a matching or neutral color?

I was also going to suggest you might use a contrasting/complimentary color tile as a border around the top, but the different color might actually draw more attention to the taper.
Lex-dystic is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase