Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
cbohaker

Vinyl window expansion/contraction on shower wall.

Hello, I need advice on the issue below. I finished my bathroom with tile and put a thin bead of Keracaulk U between the window and the tile gap. Recently the window has seemed to pull away from the wall/tile leaving a larger gap. I have cleaned the gap out the best I can and I am thinking of filling it with 100% silicone. Any suggestions/ideas? I have attached a photo.
Attached Images

Unread 05-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Christopher,

Can you step back and take more pictures so we have an overall view?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
cbohaker

Hi Houston, thanks for the reply. I have attached two more photos. Its my first time doing tile. You can see I have taken out the grout under the ledge too because it cracked on me.
Attached Images

Unread 05-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Kman

I don't know that it would hurt anything, but I don't know that it would help, either. I can't tell from your pictures what your waterproofing is, but if the waterproofing isn't sealed to the window, then it won't really matter what you use to seal the tile to the window, because water would get past that anyway and eventually to the framing around the window.

But as a general answer to your question, you would want to use 100% silicone in that application anyway. The expansion and contraction of the vinyl will be different than the tile, and silicone would be one of the sealants that could withstand that movement.

There's nothing wrong with Keracaulk, but it's not what I'd use in a shower, except maybe where the tile meets the ceiling.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
cbohaker

Hi KMAN. Before I did the tile I waterproofed all the way up to the plastic window with redguard and membrane.. it was flush I have no idea why it pulled away. What would you do in this situation?
Unread 05-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
Kman

So with regard to the waterproofing where it meets the window, was there any gap at all, even a tiny bit where water can get through? If there is, I'd remove the tile around the window and fix that. The waterproofing should go onto the window a little, maybe a 1/4" or so, to prevent water getting past that layer.

Windows can be problematic when it comes to waterproofing, as they require the same care you would give a bench or niche. Since it's a horizontal surface, it needs very careful waterproofing to prevent water intrusion.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2021, 03:10 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The coefficient of thermal expansion of vinyl versus cement is about 7.5x larger for vinyl...it won't take much temperature change to notice. There's a limit on how much stretch you can get with silicone, too...I don't think you'll get 750% before it tears itself loose. I'd question the ability of RedGard to stretch that much, too, but some of that depends on what the temperature differential of the window frame would be versus the tile around it. 750% of nearly nothing is still nearly nothing...hassle is, the sun can play havoc with things and make for fairly large temperature swings between say the window frame that might get direct sun, and the tile that may not.

Tape a sheet of typing paper on a flat surface at the long end, then slide the opposite end a slight amount, and note how much the paper starts to bow...it doesn't take much to cause it to bend, or in the case of the window frame, warp. That's why there are slots in vinyl siding for the nails so the panels can move as they heat up and cool down...making a rigid seal with the stuff to other materials can get tricky.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase