Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-13-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
sshahan

Seal before cleaning?

Hello. My husband tiled our kitchen floor and we applied the grout this past weekend. We have glazed procelain tiles, textured with little crevices. Used a light colored, sanded grout. Now we have a big mess with grout dried in the crevices and a general haze. I've read enough to know we have a big job ahead of us, and some of the cleaning options. My question is - should we seal the grout before scrubbing and/or applying cleaning solutions? It seems to me that might help protect the grout, but I don't want to apply anything that might make the clean up job tougher. Nor do I want to wait any longer than absolutely necessary to start the cleaning.
Thanks for any suggestions. Sharon
sshahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Sharon, Welcome!

Don't seal the grout before cleaning. You will be wasting your time and money on product. Prewet the grout joints in the areas that you will be working. The sooner the better, as the grout is hardening as we speak.

How many square feet do you have to clean?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
sshahan

Just over 200 sq. ft. with an area nearly equal that size still to be grouted. Hopefully we've learned something and can do a better initial job on the second part.
I'm not sure how to proceed with the cleaning. We tried a vinegar/water mixture on a small area. It cleans the surface but the grout in the crevices remains. Bought some sulfamic acid, then noticed it says to wait 10 days after grouting before using. Also read a post about someone ruining the surface glaze with the acid. I certainly don't want to make the problem worse! Suggestions? Thanks.
sshahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Sharon

If you work on the tile faces vs. the grout (prewetting the grout), you won't have to wait the ten days. If you flood the surface with acid, then it's best you wait. As far as the crevices, try taking a sharp instrument (piece of wood, plastic, utility knife if you're careful, etc.) and start scraping. It can be tedious and time consuming. You could also try the sulfamic acid crystal solution with a stiff grout brush. This acid will be safe on your tiles (as long as it's not marble or limestone).

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase