Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-29-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
DrRichDVM

Question which kind of saw < $300 ?

Hi guys- if I had mucho money I would buy the Felker 150. BUT that is not the case, and I have to aim lower. The last tile job, I rented a saw from the tile shop, and it was the flat table top kind with the immersed saw blade (they no longer rent this). Iy was easy to use, great cuts, and no water pump to break ! A bit messy, though. I bought a facemask to keep the spray out of my lungs.

I want to buy a tile saw since I have to take my sweet old newbie time with the current really daunting job. Of course I could rent one for a week, but I am sure if I did that I would get sick or something or have an emergency.

So, should I buy the flat type kind like the small felker or plasplugs or noname, or should I go with the felker 75 or MK 170 or used 370? My current tile is 6 inch, and I need to do diagonal cuts. I need a saw that does diagonals without breaking off a piece at the end. I need to shave some tiles, too, and take off 1/4 inch, so bad wobble would drive me crazy.

Suggestions, please?

Thank you so much. By the way, I got a Dewalt spade handle drill from ebay, and am very happy. Now my 3/8 inch drill won't burn up.

Lois
DrRichDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Bugman
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I bought the TM-75 and am very happy with it. I have cut some very thin slivers off tile with no problem. Occasionally, I have chipped the end of a cut if I got in too big a hurry feeding the tile through or the blade needed dressing. No problem at all with the pump. It's a nice saw and so far I haven't had a problem with it.
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
DrRichDVM

Question But....

Thanks for the advice. One of my problems is that I don't know how to use the kind like the TM-75. Can you do everything as easily as when you use the table saw kind?
Lois
Unread 06-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
Bugman
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I've found the TM-75 very easy to use. It's actually easier to use than a table saw in that you can see exactly where the blade is going to enter the tile since it sits over the sliding table with the tile on it. It's no where near as messy as the ones with the blade immersed in the water. It will kick a little water out the back, but I never had to wear a rain suit I actually had it set up in the bathroom while working on the shower. I simply stood a piece of cardboard up behind it to catch the overspray. I did set the whole saw in my mud mixing pan to catch the drips off the table when it extended past the end of the saw pan.

Let's hope some other speak up.
Unread 06-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
Daveffd

I also bought the Felker 75 and love it. I am half way through tiling a 3X4 shower and no problems. It cuts angles and miters with the attachments they give you. I had bought one of the HD special $88 saws, piece of junk compared to the felker. I am using through body porcelin tile and it cuts like butter with the blade that comes with it. I would recommend it .

DAve
Daveffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
JPicasso

I have a TM-75, did a bathroom floor and shower with it.

Never used different saw, however, I"ll say that
this saw is nice. Plenty of power and cuts through ceramic like butter.
You can shave a tile thin enough to read the paper through it.

.. well, maybe not that thin, but I've made cuts where the shavings were plenty thin.
You can easily take only a saw blade width off.
Unread 06-30-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
BriGuy

Let me give another vote for the TM-75.

Originally, I bought the Plasplugs (table saw style) at Home Depot. It was the 'nice' one with the metal table. It worked pretty well for my first project, but the fence broke on my second project and Home Depot wouldn't exchange it. The shaft was starting to develop a bad wobble, and I was getting tired of getting soaked every time I made a cut , so I bought the TM-75 and never looked back.

The TM-75 is a very nice tool for the money.

Brian
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Yet another vote for the TM-75. It is a great saw. If cutting a lot of porcelain, upgrade the blade to a HotDog MK-225.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 02:53 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I added a TM-75 to my line-up of saws about 4 or 5 monts ago. Good purchase. Simple. Easy.

Dress the blade from tile to time if you are cutting porcelain.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
DrRichDVM

Wink "Dress" the blade ???

Would a T-shirt and shorts do for the blade or does it need more formal attire?

Seriously, what does one do to "dress" the blade?

BTW, I am convinced regarding the Felker 75... thanks !

Lois
Unread 06-30-2005, 04:04 PM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg

7 out of 7 chose this saw. Pretty good.

Dressing the blade? It means to sharpen the blade. Before I go on and on.......I'll give you this link to a thread that John Bridge put in from Andy (from Felker). It's in the Liberry. By the way, go to the Liberry and check out the stash of info there. Its really good.

Link to "Sharpen your diamond saw blade"

Unread 06-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
ic_spotz

I'm not a pro but I was shopping with your same budget. E-bay has a dealer called Texas Saw. MK Diamond 370EXP for $319 w/ free shipping. Hotdog 225 Blade, stand and cutting accesory set included. It cuts travertine like butter. I've never owned or used another saw but this one seems to be a good deal. It's not the quietest or the least messy but very functional. I figured I could list it on e-bay when I finish with rest of our projects and recoup some $.

Scott

Last edited by ic_spotz; 06-30-2005 at 08:09 PM.
ic_spotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic_spotz
It's not the quietest.......
As owner of a couple MK's I'd like to rephrase that if I may........
It is the loudest saw anywhere. MK doesn't get a nickname like the growler, or screamer for nothing. Seriously, MK will do the job, but I love how incredibly quiet the TM-75 runs. The blade still makes noise while cutting through the material, but holy cow, is she quieter that the MK.

Good luck on whatever you purchase.

Unread 07-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #14
tjtile

QEP 24 "Bridgesaw from Lowes

I bought this saw about 6 months ago, put a good Pearl blade on it for porcelin and took off all the angle cut and measuring geegaws so that it will cut 19" on the diagonal.
For the money you cant beat it.
tjtile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2005, 10:35 AM   #15
tilenewbie

Felker Tm-75

I am a total tile newbie but I went ahead and purchased the Felker TM-75 (Lowes $298) based on the info from this site. I started my first ever project last night and the tiles cut like butter. The instruction manual sucks, but once you have it assembled and running it works very well.

Just my $.02

Good luck!

tilenewbie
tilenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase