Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #1
8ballz73

framing opening for a 3x5 shower

Hello, been a while since being here. Going to be building a standard 3x5 walk in shower so I can purchase standard sliding glass door, does anybody know what dimensions the framing should be from stud to stud so the door s would fit? I came across the web that it should be 60 1/4 stud to stud but wanted to verify here. Thanks if anyone can help!
Unread 09-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Abel.

Nobody's gonna be able to answer that until they know exactly how your shower is to be constructed, including the thickness of your chosen wallboard and the type and thickness of your tiles at a minimum.

And even at that, you'll still want to be sure there is at least a little adjustment available in the pre-made enclosure you select. I don't know that there is such a thing as a "standard sliding glass door," but you'll certainly want the exact dimensions of what you intend to use before you try to build a shower opening to fit.

A major consideration will be that the framing where the enclosure will fit be straight and absolutely plumb.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, I'd buy the door first.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2022, 06:19 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Abel, I've been doing a little shopping for sliding doors for my tub/shower. You'll see selections for a single sliding door with a fixed panel, and also for two sliding doors - AKA, bypass. The off-the-shelf units do have some adjustability, but it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Shop for the door and look at the specs and installation instructions.

As was mentioned be sure the left and right walls are plumb, and that the curb is level.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2022, 07:54 AM   #5
8ballz73

Yes your correct. After more research going with the sliding option since they allow room for modifications to the rails to fit the opening. Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase