Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
whozamazinka

Jim's shower project - kerdi questions

Hey all! I've been a long time DIY'er lurker of this forum. I've come here often to collect data on how to do things. I almost always find the answer I'm looking for without having to post. This forum was what gave me the inspiration to do a Kerdi shower in the first place. I purchased and read through John's Kerdi shower book (my favorite part is where you get to kick back with a beer, although I'd have to disagree with John's affinity for a cheap domestic...;-) ), and have kept moving forward with help from this forum. So first of all, thank you to all who contribute.

My question has to do with the slope of my shower base (a kerdi ST) and standing water. My problem is that for some reason (probably because I put the unmodified thin set on too thickly) I've got a low spot in my shower base, where the slope is basically zero. In this place, after I fill the base with water (leak test), or just do a 'practice shower', I get about 1/32 of standing water in this part of my shower base. I'm not worried about the final tile job having standing water. The section is small enough that I'll be able to correct for the slope when putting down my tile. But my concern is that the water that gets through the grout may just sit underneath the tile, and never flow down to the drain, thus getting moldy and nasty underneath the tile there.

So my question is: do I have to rip out the base and start again? Do you think that the 1/32" of standing water is small enough that I don't need to worry about it...that it will evaporate on it's own (my hope.) Is it possible that I could 'patch' that area by putting in some Unmodified thin set, and laying down some extra kerdi there? (Much like laying in some dirt and some extra sod on top of a pot hole in a lawn.) My concern there is that where the UTS is thick, that the water would just seep in between my sandwich of kerdi and start molding there anyway.

If it makes any difference, I'll be using Urethane grout on the shower. (I'm not sure if this will allow less water through to the shower floor or not.)

I actually have this problem in a second place as well. I built a shampoo niche with a proper slope, but due to the way I laid my kerdi in (I did the back side first, then overlapped another piece in front, thus putting a 'lip' in the kerdi for the water wanting to drain out) I have a similar problem. I get a little slick of water, about the thickness of the kerdi mat + UTS, that sits there as well.

Do I need to be concerned about this, or am I being too anal? (Pardon the French.) :-)

Thanks gang, I appreciate the help.

Jim
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
whozamazinka

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.
So, I know (at least, I think) that the fleece-on-fleece overlap is what creates the water seal. And thinset itself will just absorb water, correct? If I've got a lot of thinset under the patch, do I risk that just becoming a water sponge and mold breeding ground if I don't get patch boundaries down tight?

Thanks again!

Jim
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

I don't think 1/32" deep is gonna be a huge issue either way. Like Bob said, do a little corrective patch if you'd like, and get the new Kerdi pressed in well like all of your other seams. Then forget about it and tile away.

Oh yea, don't forget to post some pics for us.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
whozamazinka

Thanks Dana!

So, do you want those pics before I screw it all up, or after?
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
dhagin

I can read. You ain't gonna screw this shower up.

Post some photos as you go and defiantly some finished product types too.

ps. suns out in Olympia, have a good weekend.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
whozamazinka

A few photos

So, I'm not quite finished yet (I haven't grouted) but I thought I'd throw up a few photos, since people around here seem to appreciate that sort of thing. :-)
Thanks for the help and encouragement. It has been a looooong process, but totally worth it for the finished product.
BTW, those hex tiles are a dark blue, but not as black as they look in the photos. I think the actual color is called cobalt.
Attached Images

Unread 07-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
dhagin

Yea, great lookin job. Love those cobalts.

Unread 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
BriGuy

Nice job - I love subway tile and hex tile look. It is always in style.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase