Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Markus. Slick it down with a flat trowel if you mudded it today. Also, run that level to the corners, you want it to be a straight shot from the drain to the corners, not flatten out too much so water stands.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #17
M.T.Pockets
Markus

Thanks Davy !

Just went in and looked the pan over and ran a flat blade around and knocked off any bumps . I must say im suprised how smooth the surface turned out, Thanks again to all the help from you CX and the rest of those on hear.

Going to paint today and hope to start putting on tile friday, for some reason it seams to get really cold on the days i have planed to tile,,when i did the tub i had to use a hair dryer on the wet saw to keep it working.

Ill start a new thread when i get finished
Unread 03-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
M.T.Pockets
Markus

this design for the floor ?

i really love the looks of this, was thinking of making the floor in my shower using this but i just havent seen floors with larger tile on the floor, i was thinking using 2"x6" and 2"X2" to make it, i am using travertine,i dont want to worry about any slips in the shower, what do you pros think?

if i dont make this, i was going to just use the ready made up ones with the mesh backing, in diamond shape .
Attached Images

Unread 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

Please keep all the project questions on this thread, Markus, so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

I would think that pattern with 2x2 and 2x6 tiles would work for a shower floor. You might have a little trouble with lippage with the 6-inch tile going across the slope, 'specially down near the drain. But a fella might can change the pattern a little there and call it a feature, eh?

My opinion worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
M.T.Pockets
Markus

sorry CX , i think the wife just made my up my mind, " just get it done !" so pre made,, ok back to work.
Unread 04-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
M.T.Pockets
Markus

Finaly getting back to the shower ( had a pipe break under the slab,,not my fault!) .

Im ready to lay the floor using 2x2 travertine ,the thinset i have been using is "versabond Fortified" its what i have been using on the walls so i suppose it would be fine for the floor? the grout has been nonsanded made by " C>CURE"

Two questions,
Is this grout ok for the floor in the shower ? just making shure before i make a mistake.

the other is on the grout instructions for sealing. it says to wait 30 days before sealing, seams like a long time!

how long should i wait to use the shower?

Thanks
Markus
Attached Images

Unread 04-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

Those joints in the walls look to me like they coulda used some sanded grout, Markus.

The choice of grout type is based upon joint size. Joints 1/8th" and larger want sanded grout; joints 1/8th" and smaller can use unsanded.

I prefer to use sanded unless the joints are just too narrow to force the sanded in there.

I would recommend you use sanded grout for your floor. It will work with the tiles you have there and is much more durable than the unsanded.

I know who C-Cure is, but I've never used that grout. Maybe someone else can give you some insights about that.

Niche turned out well.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Tell your doggy I said "woof."

No, wait, doggy wouldn't unnerstan. Tell the doggy I said "yap," instead.

Unread 04-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #23
M.T.Pockets
Markus

thanks again CX, my first tile job and i was told i needed unsanded on 1/8 joints, my bad ,i used sanded on the tub suround and it came out fine and went a lot faster.

that dog has to be within 2 feet of me at all times and she is ready to go fishing , enough of this indoor stuff !
Unread 04-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #24
cx
Moderator emeritus

With joints of 1/8th-inch you have the option of sanded or insanded according to the industry standards, Markus. I just don't use unsanded unless I really can't use sanded, either because of joint width or the surface finish of the tiles.

And a full 1/8th is just too wide for me to consider using unsanded. Personal preference.

You say your doggie likes to go fishin' with you? I trust, then, that you don't use her for bait, right?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase