Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
dean0

Tile over Tile-Thinset/Mastic question

Hi all,
I will be laying ceramic tile over an existing tiled shower floor, as well as the walls of the shower. The rest of the bathroom will be tiled over new hardibacker.
What type of thinset for the tile over application? Versabond? anythinbg I can get a a big box store?
BTW great site and extremely heloful group of people!
dean0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Versabond is decent thinset. Having said that, we don't like to see showers tiled over. Yes, it might work, but it's not the best way to go. Trying to attach tile to a slippery surface is hit & miss at best. The least would be to scarify or "rough up" the old surface. Too many questions here about your project without knowing more. Got any pictures? Why are you re-tiling rather than tearing it down and doing it properly? Any leaks? How's the plumbing? I'm sure others will chime in here.......

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Welcome to the forum, Dean.

VersaBond will work, but you have to thoroughly remove soap scum and other residues as well as scuff up the surface of the existing tiles.

Would you mind telling us what you are trying to accomplish?
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
bbcamp

Dean, have you checked to see if your shower valve will still work with the increased thickness of your new tiles?

Use Flexbond or Versabond Flex to bond the new tiles to the old ones. Clean the old tile of any oil, soap scum, or anything that may interfere with the thinset bond. Scuff sand the gloss off the tiles, and vacuum up all the dust.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
dean0

wow, thanks for all the responses!.
The color of the tile is what we dislike:
There are no leaks. The floor tiles are not glossy,I'm sure I'll have to do plenty of cleaning to prepare them.
The shower valve: How would I be able to figure out if it'll fit with the tile over.
I appreciate the advice on tear out but i've ruled it out for now.
I knwo it's a tile forum- should I just reglaze!?
dean0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

That could certainly be an option. Get a couple of quotes!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Unread 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Old World Tile and Marble

a redo or reglaze but tile over tile in a wet area will have you paying over and over and over did i mention over?
Unread 03-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Just did a re-do on a shower with NO pan....redguard on everything and everything failed. It was a tub conversion, with a 1.5" drain where the tub drain was....carrera marble everywhere and a seat. HO couldn't figgure out why the water was rushing out of both ends and was 2" deep in the shower. Turns out the floor tile was THREE layers deep....needed a telescope to even SEE the drain. As to the thread, the drain WILL be "Deep" in the tile and looks like crap. I strongly encourage you to demo this job and do it right. Trust this; wee will help walk you thru it.

BTW, ripped out the bottom 12" of carrera, installed a proper pan & slope along with the new liner. He's a happy camper!

Unread 03-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Oldrem

Send a message via Yahoo to Oldrem
Nearly 3 years ago I remodeled my bathroom, but chose not to retile the shower floor. I opted to try a refinishing product. I had to argue with the folks at Menards that YES Rust-Oleum's Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit COULD be tinted as per their website. They finally agreed to do it lol. The prepping of the tile entails doing about everything you are taught NOT to do to tile. 1) Scrub it well with bleach water and rinse. 2) Scour it with Comet cleanser using an abrasive pad and rinse. 3) Scrub it 3 times with Lime Away using an abrasive pad - letting the product sit for 5 minutes between scrubbings / rinse. 4) Sand it with wet/dry sand paper / rinse. 5) Let it dry thoroughly 6) Wipe it down with a tac cloth. I applied 2 coats over 2 days.

To date, it doesn't look any different than it did when I finished it.
Attached Images

Lifetime DIYer, Cowboy Action shooter, Gun collector

http://www.computer-adventure.com
Oldrem is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase