Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #16
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Ill second the Target, I have a XL that is going on 25 years old. Its been rained on, been in all weather for that time. I have bought a new tray, switch, and capacitor over the years. You cant do any better for longevity and simplistic design.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
Just In Tile LLC

I think why the Dewalt is so popular over other brands is when it came out it really changed the game on design and functionality from the belt driven behemoths. It was lighter, plunge cuts were a breeze, tray kept most of the water in. Really was a well balanced saw so it gained a lot of recognition quickly... then came the reality of what was sacrificed to gain what it was. The old company I worked for bought two when they came out, after a year and half all the setters had their old saws on the trucks again, the thing just didn't last all that long for a guy who does tile everyday.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #18
toddean

My First Post here...

I started as a helper 30 years ago and the company had about 20 crews, all the saws were Targets. Great saw. Work horse for sure. My buddy got the Dewalt a couple yrs back and its extremely nice and almost a pleasure to pick it up and walk away! So light. I have owned 2 MK101's. Loved the durability but hated them both for their weight. I just bought a brand new MK TX-4 about 5 months ago. I know one of their Reps and got it in the box, shipped to my house for free, price: $700. The serial number is 263 I think lol. Cut perfectly straight out of the box and has some great features. I love it!
Name:  Box Opening 001.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  Box Opening 003.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  Box Opening 004.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  Box Opening 005.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  69.3 KB
Old 05-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
Simplyjames

Totally DeWalt. Great price and design. Super portable. Almost a professional grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT certified installer #015
californiaflooringltd.com
Simplyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #20
DownEastGC
Carpenter

I love my lackmond beast tile saw so much
But it's the only sliding table wet saw I've had so I don't have a good basis for comparison. I have a few full-time tile setter friends in my area (I do tile peripherally to general renos). The biggest complaint I've heard about the lackmond vs the DeWalt is that they "have" to use the lackmond outside bc of spray.
Apparently they'll set up the dewalt right inside.
Personally if I'm doing a bathroom on the second floor it's worth it to me to put drops down and plastic up and just deal with the spray. Beats walking up and down the stairs all day.

I also find that the dewalt is the "gold standard" when I'm at my local tile store. Everyone seems to love it.
As a part time tile setter i don't regret my lackmond beast purchase at all.

GC Specializing in Remo/Reno
DownEastGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #21
Northmen

Genuine Baldor Motor

Does anyone use genuine Baldor motors on their wet saws?

I've seen some newer belt driven saws on the market but the motor isn't tagged "Baldor"
Old 06-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #22
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Husqvarna does, they bought out Target and kept one of the things that made them so reliable.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #23
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Baldor and Leeson are essentially the same motor. Target and Felker have used both nameplates. HEAVY suckers!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase