Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
GigiIN

Kitchen Backsplash -how to deal with large gap

New to this website! I am sort of handy, but by no means a pro. I'm trying to install a back splash in our kitchen. There is 13.5" space from bottom of cabinet to counter (see pic). Most tile is on 12x12 mesh backing. I'd like install this tile either horizontally or vertically (see other pic). However, I have an almost 2" gap if I tile horizontally, probably more if I go vertically. I'd prefer not to put a border or accent tile. Am I going to have to make a zillion cuts? Any suggestions how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Gigi
Attached Images

Unread 12-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Hi Gigi, welcome.

Yup, only way you'll be able to close that gap is to cut the tile. You're going to need to cut some anyway for the outlets/switches. You might also want to lay a level across that backsplash so ensure it is level before you proceed. And don't forget that you'll need a gap between the top of the backsplash and the bottom row of tile, which you'll then want to fill with a color matched caulk.

If you don't have a wet saw they can be rented, or you can purchase an inexpensive one from one of the big box stores.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
GigiIN

Thank you for your reply!!! So I'm understanding you correctly, if I install this horizontally, I only have to cut the tile at the TOP near the cabinet? Meaning I can lay whole tile along the counter top? If so, won't the look weird with the bottom tile being a full size tile and the top only being half size?
Unread 12-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Don't forget to add a grout joint at the bottom along the counter. That joint is caulked (not grouted) to allow for expansion and contraction. All grout manufacturers make grout matching caulk.

Yes. The cut tiles go at the top. You've seen this a million times but never paid attention 'cause no one does until they are staring at it.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
GigiIN

Thank you!!!
Unread 12-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

Stand in the middle of the kitchen, and notice how you can't even see the bottom of the cabinet/top of the tile. No cut at the bottom will look better.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #7
workhurts

1/2 tile won’t be a problem but I’d make sure not to have a sliver of it can be helped. Those are pretty large tiles so they won’t move around unlike mosaic when cutting.

If you want a bigger tile up top, you could also remove that 3-4” granite strip at the bottom there (I kinda hate them). The folks here are right, you won’t notice the top especially when standing.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase